Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Awesome Powerboats 38' cat sunk on the Indy Poker Run between Chicago and New Buffalo on Saturday. There were no injuries.:) I don't have any first hand knowledge of what happened.
The boat supposedly delaminated. It was originally thought that there was a mechanical failure of an engine mount. After recovery of the boat they discovered it had delaminated. It was a beautiful boat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I think if a mount let loose and made a hole it would delaminate things quickly at 100 MPH !!!!!

Lets find out what happened and go from there.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Like you said,,, I wonder where it went I would like to see it !!!!!!! There are lots of stories going around suddenly,,,,,, I also heard the guy did all his own rigging on the boat,,,, at this point who knows !!!!!!!!!! Sad no matter what, but at least no one was hurt !!!!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Speaking of Delamination...

There's a dealer near me that has a 26' American Offshore Cat sitting behind their place with the front all torn up and a shambles when the nose got stuffed in rough water at about 60 mph. Driver wife got pretty banged up and driver broke his arm. They had just finished the boat for the owner with an HP500 engine.

It's a sad looking mess. I'll try and take some pics over the next few weeks.

- jeff

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you go let me know. I agree there are a thousand variables to what could have happened. I like seeing to make my own judgement. It just shows that are sport can be dangerous. As soon as someone starts to think it can't happen to me that's when trouble strikes. I have seen Fountains come apart, flip and break in the wrong circumstances. Nothing is perfect! It can happen to any boat at any time.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I talked with Jim Jones today,(President of Awesome) he said that the preliminary word on it is that they probably hit something in the water at high speed. There is a hole punched in the top part of the tunnel (an area that is normally out of the water by six or more inches after plane) about 18" or so that flooded the engine compartment. There are 7 bilge pumps and all were working but couldn't keep up.

2 other boats tied up to it to prevent it from sinking. There is no official word on the exact cause, but there is no fault suspected by the manufacturer. There is plenty of balsa core there, there were no stress cracks or delaminating at all. All pumps were working fine, the engine mounts are solid and intact, as is the transom and all other construction.

Guys, don't jump to conclusions or let rumors expound, OK?

The boat is fully insured and there was nobody hurt. Accidents happen, and a 100 mph hit by a foreign object isn't going to fare well on any boat.

Awesome builds a great boat, I see them first hand and painted the one in question. Jim and Marie are good people and have brought their boats a long way in quality.

Mitcher T.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mitcher T,
Thanks for the info. I was told it actual sunk. Glad to see that was also a rumor. I'm glad they were able to save her before she went down.
You did a great job on the graphics.
Thanks for setting me straight,
Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.