Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=8818930

The news report does not give a lot of info. I know the diver of the bigger boat involved and it was a 30' Powerquest. From what I was told they were heading in oppisite directions, but the smaller boat was heading towards the Powerquest. The driver of the PQ steered to his right and the other boat steered to his left, which meant that he was still headed to the PQ. All together the PQ steered to his right 3 times, which was proven his GPS and the smaller boat ended up hitting him in the left side. During the time of the impact the PQ was in a hard right hand turn and the smaller boat made contact on the bottom side of the PQ. The PQ then ran over the other boat and ended up in the woods. 5 of the 6 people on board the smaller boat, which was a 20' bow rider were killed. The 6th person is in the hospital with critical injuries.
Alcohol was not a factor in this crash. At least not on the part of the PQ driver. He was tested 3 times and all three times it came up zero. From what I understand it is not known at this time who was driving the smaller boat.
Very sad..... :(

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
how in the world does that even happen in broad daylight with no booze involved.

I mean I have had occurences where someone was running straight at me and it got a little hairy. However I just backed off and stopped. Just doesnt make sence....

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Ive had some close calls, but only with jet sjiers who insist on doing there stunts without looking b4 they do it, this is sad to hear and my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved,

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
axkiker said:
how in the world does that even happen in broad daylight with no booze involved.
Alcohol has NOT been ruled out. The driver of the PQ was tested and no alcohol was detected.
The body of the driver of the 18' Bayliner has not been recovered. So he has yet to be tested.

·
Registered
300 Posts
StanleyB22 said:
I am curious how Julio knows so much important information as to the exact cause of the accident that killed five young men near Blind River. Maybe he should be called as an eyewitness when criminal, or civil, charges are levied against the driver of the SPEED boat.
This might get good :beers:

·
Registered
195 Posts
More reasons to take boating safety classes...Every time I hear of a boating accident like this I feel bad for the families. Boating is a wonderful past-time and should not end in tragedy.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
StanleyB22 said:
I am curious how Julio knows so much important information as to the exact cause of the accident that killed five young men near Blind River. Maybe he should be called as an eyewitness when criminal, or civil, charges are levied against the driver of the SPEED boat.

Well you really charged right in here and made a grand entrance on your FIRST POST :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
430 Posts
was speed a factor?

What I cannot understand is if you see something like this coming your way, pull back on the sticks, come to a stop or at least slow down. If you have the opportunity to make three decisions to get out of the way to avoid a collision, one of those should be to slow way down.

Sorry to hear that 5 people lost their lives over something like this.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
StanleyB22 said:
did you miss this part of his post?
"I know the diver of the bigger boat involved "

Also I think I would hold judment, since the driver the "speed" boat was cleared of alochol impairment, and the other driver has not.

Btw, welcome to S.W. Nice first post. :rolleyes:

My prayers go out to the families and friends of the deceased.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not Right said:
no it wont get good, 5 ppl were killed. :(

it also sounds like this person has a problem with SPEED boats
Just to be clear I may have come across the wrong way! :(

No I don't think any accident is funny at all, expecially when lives are lost! But to have someone register and make a first post like that usually creates a chit storm that makes for good reading... :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
The bayliner was headed for an accident no matter what. If the PP had come to a stop, they could have been hurt/killed also. The PP driver did exactly what he should have according to what I was told in the coast guard safety course I took.

Prayers for all involved.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
It just doesn't make sense why the Bayliner would keep turning into the path of the PQ

1 - 20 of 39 Posts