Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to vent a bit, The other day I was waiting my turn to load the boat on the trailer. This guy in a little jetboat is taking his sweet *** time he has nothing ready. When he finally gets the boat on the trailer, he pulls it about 10 yards up the ramp and blocks it. Now he starts wiping it down, and coiling up his lines get his tie downs ready, everything he could do if he pulled up another 20 yards, Now I'm pulling figure 8's back and forth( keep in mind the idle is way off on my boat and its stalling every couple minutes or so) waiting for this guy. My dad who was gonna back up the trailer walks over and says hey could you pull forward just a bit so I can get my trailer in the water? The guys looks at my dad and goes no I'll be done in a minute. My dads like ok great, well about 20 minutes later the guy freakin finally pulls out of the way.

I know this is really no big deal, but for some reason stuff like that really gets under my skin. I understand that people might be new to boating and not know everything and I'm certainly not saying I do but that just ridiculous !!!

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
Ramp etiquette is a problem for some boaters. Not pulling up far enough is a HUGE problem, totally ticks me off. I usually see it from the guy who just pulled out two jet skis with a Ford Taurus.

(if Horse Power is reading, please no comments on my 10 minute long boat ramp episode a few weeks ago).

:rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
903 Posts
That jacks me too. We pulled out a cig bullet and a nova one night at a boat ramp and was told off by a couple of people that we took too long. We did both in less than five minutes. Pulled up out of the way and put our straps and covers on and wiped off and the goofs that said something were still trying to get backed in the water to load their boat.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
OH MAN...that stuff ticks me off too! like the tools that sit in line...then when its their turn to launch they THEN start pulling off the straps and covers and bumpers, lines etc!!! :mad: i dont even enter the staging area till the boats ready to go off the trailer....
another one i love is when its a single person on the boat, and they park the boat at the dock for the launch ramp and then walk away to go get the trailer blocking the ramp for everyone else....totaly ignoring the dock to the side specifcly made for "short term parking" where they can leave the boat keeping the ramp clear for others to use while you go get your trailer.....

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
BoinkSwag000 said:

I know this is really no big deal, but for some reason stuff like that really gets under my skin. I understand that people might be new to boating and not know everything and I'm certainly not saying I do but that just ridiculous !!!
Not to sound like a total azzhole but I think it is a big deal. When I pull the boat I make it a point to get it on the trailer and clear the launch as quickly a I can, only to be considerate to others. It doesn't take any longer to pull away from the launch and out of others' way, and then empty the boat, pull the fenders, wipe down, etc.

Unfortuneately, there are some idiots we have to deal with :dead:

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Re: Re: Boating Manners

Kidnova said:
Not to sound like a total azzhole but I think it is a big deal. When I pull the boat I make it a point to get it on the trailer and clear the launch as quickly a I can, only to be considerate to others. It doesn't take any longer to pull away from the launch and out of others' way, and then empty the boat, pull the fenders, wipe down, etc.

Unfortuneately, there are some idiots we have to deal with :dead:
I agree! Many times it has nothing to do with boating it's common sense and courtesy.

I'm always VERY nice when I ask someone to move in these situations. The second time I'm not so nice. If he still refused I would have moved his truck and boat for him!!!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
A couple years ago I took our 21 bowrider out for the day......the ramp we use has 6 "bays" with long finger piers between each 2. These are very far apart making this one of the best ramps in the state.
I park the boat off to the side and go get the trailer. Wait my turn then back down toweards the water.....a boat pulls up and ties off to the dock as I'm back down. So I pull up, cirlce around and soon start backing down the next ramp that has just cleared....again, a boat pulls up and ties off where I'm backing down!!!!!
Circle a 3rd time and when backing in a 3rd boat DOES THE SAME THING!!!!! This time I pull a little forward, back right down the middle of the 2 finger piers leaving just enough room for the 2 boats on each of the piers. Go get the boat and have it loaded BEFORE either truck shows up to get their boats

The local cop comes over and says that I shouldn't be so impatient and that there are ways we do things around here...blah blah blah. I tell him your right....your SUPPOSED to park the boat over there and go get your truck FIRST!!!!...and besides, I didn't hold anyone up, they still haven't shown up with their trucks!! (just as the first truck was pulling up I pointed to the truck and said, "now you're hilding things up"!!!!

Let's just say I wiped the boat down a little faster than normal and got the hell out of there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad other people see it he same way I do, I don't use the ramp much as I rent a slip for the season but how some people are so retarded drives me crazy !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ramp manners and waterway manners have gone out the window! I don't know how many time's ive seen people swamping fishing boats because there to lazy to move over another 10 feet or slow down for the sail boats...It's a joke! I understand because I have a fast boat and I like going fast but how hard is it to take 30 seconds to slow down and move over so the sailboat" which has right of way" ALWAYS, can go through safe!

Plus what happened to the good ol' wave back when soemone waves to you out there....I hate it when people stiff me...I'm water raged, lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I noticed that the wave might be dying Nothing pisses me off more then when you wave and the guy just stares you down like a tard makes me wanna hang a U and throw the finger

, I normally boat on sodus and people out there tend to be much more courteous and educated then the people I have come across on Irondequoit, not saying there not out their just my experience, :devious: :devious:

·
Registered
405 Posts
maybe I'm just lucky, but for the couple of ramps I use the most, people are downright friendly - and polite about getting in and out of the way in good speed.

most people on the river wave - that includes almost everyone from the black guys that are out catfishing in an old beat up tri-hull to the boat full of teenagers wake boarding or the group of guys running tunnel hulls and allisons... Even when I'm stopped doing something in the engine compartment like changing jets for a few minutes, it's not unusual for someone to stop and ask if everything's ok.

Heck, several weeks ago when I lost a ujoint, we were paddling up to the next launch (sloooowly) when a guy pulled up next to us in a newer stv and said "you're gonna have a hard time getting up on a plane like that"... he was smiling, and proceded to tow us up the river to the next launch a with a boat that clearly wasn't made or set-up to run as a tug boat... and then gave me a fast but calm ride back to the ramp where my truck was... and wouldn't take a dime for the trouble... just asked me if I believed in karma and told me to be sure and lend a hand the next time someone else might need one... The folks further down on the open river who run the big boats are just about as good...

i think if I had to wait a long time for some jerk to move up and then he was still blocking the ramp, that I'd park him in tight, lock and shut the truck off and sit on the bank fishing for a while so he could think about it... or maybe I'd just be patient and think how lucky I was not to have to deal with that kind of thing very often...

Other people who give me crap or get pissed when they don't think I'm getting out of the way fast enough? did you hear something? maybe was just the wind... and I do make sure that by the time I'm in place to back down the ramp, everything is ready to go and all that has to happen is slip the boat off the trailer. opposite on the way out. just get the boat on the trailer, make sure front it tight and drive is up and pull forward and around the bend to get everything buttoned up and ready for the drive home...

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Our local lakes is where I usually see the idiots. At Torch and Grand Traverse Bay people are quick and courteous. Free boat launches seems to attract the tards! :D

I launched last Sunday for a quick spin on our local lakes. Guy pulls his boat out and up parks right there and starts wiping it down. It was obvious I was putting in. So, I started backing in around him with about 6" to spare between our boats. :D He asks, oh, you're putting in? Do you want me to move? :rolleyes: Well he moves alright. Pulls up another 50' or so and blocks two empty parking spots!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Since it was started as a venting area, I want to through mine out. D*** rental boats cause me the biggest headaches. I have a 5 inch scratch on the side of my boat, little gel coat needs repair. These guys pull up on the beach leave the boat unattended during changing tides and just do not care. His prop, which was straight in the air, swung over and hit the side of my boat. I can go on and on, but these companies should at least ask a few questions before renting out a boat. :yak: :dead1: :yak: :dead1:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well... actually I want to post a Thank You to Butch and Freddie & Kay at Anchor in NorthEast,Md. Its my local ramp - I do alot of towing and unfortunately don't seem to get to boat in the Bay as much as I would like...I am always heading to some Donzi Event... anyway often I am alone doing a 15 minute Blast down the NorthEast River - just to test something and make sure the little Donzi still floats.

And Freddie & Kay and on occassion even Butch - help me when I am unloading myself... they are always quick with the Golf Cart to run me back to the boat or to go retrieve the Truck & Trailer....

I remember when I first started launching at their Ramp - I was watching some guy who backed right down the middle of the Ramp! Butch came up to his Truck Window and said - hey its Double Down the Middle! And the guy said what? Yep you use both lanes its twice the Ramp Fee! He quickly adjusted his Track to one lane or the other... I thought that was funny. :cool:

I try to be as quick and safe as possible and with the exception of dipping the Trailer in when loading and adjusting for Tide.... I do pretty well by myself... I have lines and Fenders everywhere...and I have my own psychotic method...but it works and its quick.

I also notice that the stress at the Docks is directly proportional to how loud the motors are... when there are serious horsepower boats ... the anxiety at the Docks is thick. I keep my focus...try to keep out of everyones way and get the hell out to the large Parking Lot out back... there I can relax have some Beers and take my time - DeRiggin all the Lines, Fenders etc.

Ramps are always entertaining...sometimes comical.

Doc :winker:

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
bnboatn said:

I can go on and on, but these companies should at least ask a few questions before renting out a boat. :yak: :dead1: :yak: :dead1:
They do... " have a credit card??"

I feel your pain

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I will clarify I don't have a problem with a newbie that is TRYING to do it right. I have stayed to help these people and even dropped off a passenger to help.

It's the people that KNOW they are being rude and don't care or simply don't have enough common sense to know. Those are the people that get under my skin in a bad way.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Heat said:
Ramp manners and waterway manners have gone out the window! I don't know how many time's ive seen people swamping fishing boats because there to lazy to move over another 10 feet or slow down for the sail boats...It's a joke! I understand because I have a fast boat and I like going fast but how hard is it to take 30 seconds to slow down and move over so the sailboat" which has right of way" ALWAYS, can go through safe!

Plus what happened to the good ol' wave back when soemone waves to you out there....I hate it when people stiff me...I'm water raged, lol
Man, you brought up Sailboats...They do not always have the right of way but they sure do think that they do. I have never had a distaste for Blow Boats till I moved to Maryland. All the damn sailboats that think that they need all the water to go straight piss me off :devious: But I do my best to stay out of their way :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
How about this ish.

Coming into a channel off the lake, I am going west, with my family on board. It is 8:37 at night, maybe just past sunset, or real close. A bass boat is headed east, 100 to 125 feet to my port side.

Here comes a 28' wide open, about 55mph, and goes right between us (opposite direction to me), and splits between the two of us.
Low light, high speed, narrow distance.

And the kicker: I know who it was. I know he comes here once in a while. If you read this, you know what I think of you right now. That was some seriously stupid ****.

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
I've given up on worrying about idiots, most are beyond help anyway. I TRY to keep my cool while I wait. The thing I have to worry about the most is that the wife drives the trailer, and she won't think twice about pointing out the fact that you're an idiot! It's real fun to watch the look on the faces of the guys struggling with their 16' whatevers while she backs in between two of them and we load up and take off. One guy even offered to pay her to teach his wife how to drive a trailer. We do always try to have patience for newbies, someone who's willing to accept help, or at least shows some degree of consideration for others.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Best solution I found is go to a private marina and pay to launch if its an option. Best $10 a week ill ever spend!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts