Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are all kinds of little things you can do a sb or bb i/o like larger free flowing flame arrestors, exhaust, ignition etc.
How about for outboards. I have a stock carbed 2002 Merc 200hp that I would like to keep reliable as I fish offshore with it. I have looked at the Bobs velocity stacks but the consensus seems to be that they make more noise but performance isn't increased. The boat only runs 55ish so lower unit mods aren't going to pay off. I have heard that shaving the heads can be worth while but then its premium fuel only and we typically run 80 miles in a day when we go out. Thats could get pricey.
I did go down one size on the main jets at the recommendation of the guy who rebuilt my motor, John Vanderstel, who used to work for Merc Racing and does powerheads for most of the circuits race boats. Am I better off just throwing some money at a labbed prop and calling it a day?
Concept is sending my Rev4 to test drive and if I like how it works I may just send it to Throttle-Up. Right now I have a porpoise problem due to lots of setback and a light front end.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
tcob said:
save your $$$ and buy more beer :D
I agree. Put it in large ice filled cooler up front and you solved the bucking problem. My OB and CC was for less work and expense-why mess it up.

As close as you are to TU-take the boat up to them and try some out. That might be the best investment you can make.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
gilla said:

As close as you are to TU-take the boat up to them and try some out. That might be the best investment you can make.
agreed :D

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Legally, can't do anything to your motor...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts