Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 476 Posts

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to all that is interested an............ update.

After further research I decided to scratch the alky injection set up for fear of overpowering the drive and possibly the hull. I talked with AO and they said the most hp that has been put behind their hull is around 1200hp which was the quad rotor. Well with the route we were headed we would have been almost twice that. With that said I got spooked. I kind of got carried away with my original goal of going blown for the simple reason of keeping the power in the 900hp neighborhood on pump gas rather than race fuel. So we are going with an intercooled blown carb set up that will run on pump gas. Dyno scheduled for April 1st. The overall plan is to make 1000hp on pump gas and make it dependable with a maintenance plan of 2 to 3 seasons before possible freshening of the valve train. Steve Tanzi from Erson cams designed one cam and Cstraub will design the other cam and we will compare the two on the dyno.

Build specs:

MAX RPM 6500
Merlin 600cid
Lunati pro 4 .50 stroke
Oliver billet 6.385 rods
Venolia custom blower pistons 4.610 / 9:1
Fully ported CNC Pro 1's
2.40int and 1.90exh. avg. flw 418int./cfm and 82% [email protected]
Billet BDS comp 1071 front discharge stripped for gas
BDS comp tented floor intake
830 X 2 Holley blower carbs
Steve Tanzi solid roller
.688/.688 lift - 264int./[email protected] with 115LSA
Cstraub solid roller in the works
CMI big tubes 2 -7/8" primaries with wet tails at the end
Morosso belt drive oil pump
14qt Steffs pan
MSD ignition with Pro billet

Suggestions, comments and or opinions welcome.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Stingray69 said:
Looks good, Bud.

Best leave the suspenders on the huffer, and think about a fast opening hatch method...ya know? :winker:
Elaborate on the fast opening hatch..........please. :confused:

· Banned
69,128 Posts
Bear in mind all contingencies...

Things happen. Keep the straps for the blower, but in the event they come into use, have adequate allowance for instant hatch opening, and some method to alleviate sudden engine compartment compression...think homemade soda bottle bomb...and allow for the compartment environment to experience sudden high pressure.

Pressure release in the UP direction will be preferable to sudden pressure release sideways or down...rails, jet boats and v-drives, don't need to think in these terms...

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rogue2800 said:
Just WOW. You gonna wear a chute?
Naaah........no chute........this is a family/pleasure boat. :winker:

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stingray69 said:
Bear in mind all contingencies...

Things happen. Keep the straps for the blower, but in the event they come into use, have adequate allowance for instant hatch opening, and some method to alleviate sudden engine compartment compression...think homemade soda bottle bomb...and allow for the compartment environment to experience sudden high pressure.

Pressure release in the UP direction will be preferable to sudden pressure release sideways or down...rails, jet boats and v-drives, don't need to think in these terms...
Is there something that you see that I dont? Are you expecting a failure?????

· Banned
69,128 Posts
I think safety first. I hope it lives forever. I hope you live longer than it.

Contigency of 'what if'?

Ever see the force of a launched huffer?

Plan for 'what if'...

Allow for breakaway sunpad/hatch or some equally easy method of huffer escape, please...

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Stingray69 said:
I think safety first. I hope it lives forever. I hope you live longer than it.

Contigency of 'what if'?

Ever see the force of a launched huffer?

Plan for 'what if'...

Allow for breakaway sunpad/hatch or some equally easy method of huffer escape, please...
Thanks for your input Sting........I here ya on the safety first part. Suspenders will be on for a reason if in fact a hick-up occurs. At least 2ft. room on each side and room up top with scoop for pressure release as well as huge side vents. Only area the space is limited......aft of the engine.

Attachments

· Banned
69,128 Posts
Only 'cause I care...but sudden pressure release will be in the 4 digits mph range, not the triple digits that air goes INTO existing holes. It would be as though you had a nearly sealed chamber, due to the time frame involved in a 'what if'. I sense cracked hull, sudden back seat removal, etc., NOT TRYING TO BRING YA DOWN, BUT TO BRING YA BACK.

Consider a breakaway hatch method, or small diameter rear hatch bolts, SOMETHING...if you (she) insists on a sunpad. Consider even mild pressure suddenly (instantly) released onto objects the size of the backseat or hatch.

Drag boats don't have to deal with this; run it by the guys on hotboat and see what they say.

· Registered
653 Posts
How much boost are you planning on running? My guess with 9:1 5-6 will be good for pump gas and possibly 10-12 on fuel. 1000 HP with as many cubes as you are running will be pretty easy. Are you using a marine blower with a pop off release? I hear what Sting is saying, but in reality the boost levels you will be running aren't that much. If you were messing with 20+ like you would be with an alky motor there would be definate concerns. Just be sure your intake has the necessary marine pop off and you should be fine. It will be fun to see how the cams compare. It looks like Tanzi went with a "soft lobe" which will be nice in the durability department.

Craig

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WETTE VETTE said:
How much boost are you planning on running? My guess with 9:1 5-6 will be good for pump gas and possibly 10-12 on fuel. 1000 HP with as many cubes as you are running will be pretty easy. Are you using a marine blower with a pop off release? I hear what Sting is saying, but in reality the boost levels you will be running aren't that much. If you were messing with 20+ like you would be with an alky motor there would be definate concerns. Just be sure your intake has the necessary marine pop off and you should be fine. It will be fun to see how the cams compare. It looks like Tanzi went with a "soft lobe" which will be nice in the durability department.

Craig
Starting off with 8% under which should give us 4-5lbs of boost for the pump. Once everything looks good on the dyno then the plan is to see what she will do with more boost and good gas just incase there becomes the day or need for the kill set up. :winker: Pop off is machined in. Longevity and durability all while on pump gas in the 1000hp neighborhood was the goal so we shall see.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stingray69 said:
I won't labor it, just thought I read '2300-ish'...
Yep thats where we were headed with the alky set up but we are now doing the conservative gas set up. :D

· Registered
371 Posts
Stingray69 said:
OK, ONLY a 1000 or so.

Gas.

Is it still worthwhile to run the huge blower to gain only 8-10psi, when it could be done with say 250/256 or 6-71?
Big inch motors need lots of air, you'd have to spin a 6-71 something like 30% over to get 10# of boost and make tons of heat doing it. A 250/256 would be pretty small for a 600" motor to pull 6500 also. A 10-71 is going to make the boost at say12% over...a lot less heat even considering he's running a chiller.

The Erson cam is very conservative, it should live a long time... ;) I like the 115 C/L, the motor will idle very well.

· Registered
18,950 Posts
born2burn said:
CMI big tubes 2 -7/8" primaries with wet tails at the end
Did anyone catch this ? :eek:

Wholly molly. Damn, those are big ! No wonder whay you mentioned last year about the exhaust adapters and having trouble finding the right sized gasket. If you told me this then I would have realized what you where needing to do.

Are they really this big ID or is this OD ?

1 - 20 of 476 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.