Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

Bravo 1 gimball bearing change: do I have to re-aligne? If so, why?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Bad Bud 
#1 ·
I found different info on this, some say when you change the gimball bearing on a Bravo 1, you need to verify the engine alligment, and some don't mentionne anything about that.

Do you need to? And if so, why?

I'm asking since the bearind itself is swivel in it's core and I'm thinking that when I put back the stern when the shaft slide in into the coupler, the bearing will place itself in the right angle.

Am I right thinking this or am I missing something?

Dan

#4 ·
That's wht I was thinking. The reason I ask is that I did change my gimball bearing few weeks ago without checking the alignment. I went boating for the first time this saturday and yesterday, and on the way back yesterday, the engine coupler blew on me.

I only put 5 hours on it since I change the bearing, therefore I was wondering if this might a been the cause or just pure coincidence??

I understand that the alignment should be checked once in a while (and while having the stern off is probably a good time to do so) but I could'nt figured why it would need to be realigne specificly when you chage the gimball bearing.

#6 ·
The only reason you need to use the alignment tool after a bearing change is to get the spherical part of the bearing in alignment with the coupler splines. If you don't do this and the bearing is not true to the coupler, the drive will not go one. Or you will have to force it on. Being the spherical part is ver stiff if you force it on you are likely to deflect the rubber mounted splines more than align the bearing. After startup the bearing will align itself, but after a few thousand revolutions you might have just wiped out your splines.

So therefore, yes you must alway use the alignment tool after a gimble bearing replacement.

#7 ·
Blue Thunder said:
The only reason you need to use the alignment tool after a bearing change is to get the spherical part of the bearing in alignment with the coupler splines. If you don't do this and the bearing is not true to the coupler, the drive will not go one. Or you will have to force it on. Being the spherical part is ver stiff if you force it on you are likely to deflect the rubber mounted splines more than align the bearing. After startup the bearing will align itself, but after a few thousand revolutions you might have just wiped out your splines.

So therefore, yes you must alway use the alignment tool after a gimble bearing replacement.
Just to make sure I get it right, you're telling me that, yes the bearing will eventually alling itself like I thougth, but chances are that when putting the drive back on, if I need to force it in, the shaft splines could easily damage the spline in the coupler making it's way in, which will weaken the coupler. Is that it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.