Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on my boat yesterday, waiting in front of my buddies dock to pick him up. I went forwards, and reverse a couple of times to keep my boat away from hitting his dock on a rough weekend out on the lake. As we are ready to leave, my boat all the sudden "slipped" out of gear. At first i though it was weeds, but i also lost reverse! Now i can't go forwards or reverse. I checked the prop, and thats fine. I took my boat out of the water and pulled the drive off. It shifts fine! The prop turns when its in gear. What could my issue be?? Cable slip? Should I grease up the shift linkage in the drive? HELP!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, I can't seem to find what it is. Today i am going to my local marina to ask and see if he as any advice. I think it is the shift linkage, but still troubleshooting

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
drain the oil and pull the back cap. take a look around at the shift linkages. watch the large ball bearing and spring dont fall out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
For what its worth this same thing happened on my old Baja H2X. Turned out that the cable was loose where it attached to the engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like shifter cable has gone south - better have a look at the linkage on the transom while someone else operates the shifter (engine off).

Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Also check your shifter cable at the helm, I had mine pop out a couple years ago. And from what I understand its not a good idea to try to shift a Bravo without the engine running, unless you have the drive off, then go nuts!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I have two bravo drives in my Maxxum 281 and I recommend you check the shift cable connections by having your wife operate the shifter with the engines off and you looking at the action on the transom.

If there is a loose connection it will be readily identifiable whether or not the drives go into gear.

BTW - doesn't have to be your wife! Just wanted to go worse-case scenario...

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
PayCheck said:

BTW - doesn't have to be your wife! Just wanted to go worse-case scenario...

:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SO yes, bad coupler. (there was no metal flake in the bilge. But The motor is being pulled out today, fixed and going right back in the water. Only a couple more weeks of summer up here!!! Thanks Guys. I will post some pictures of my project. Come check it out!

AND PayCheck, i'm 21 years old and listen to my elders, don't get married!!! haha

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
gotmy said:
SO yes, bad coupler. (there was no metal flake in the bilge. But The motor is being pulled out today, fixed and going right back in the water. Only a couple more weeks of summer up here!!! Thanks Guys. I will post some pictures of my project. Come check it out!

AND PayCheck, i'm 21 years old and listen to my elders, don't get married!!! haha
NEVER EVER, NEVER GET FU*KING MARRIED

1 - 18 of 18 Posts