Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a problem when I try to shift into foward the engine will have to rev to about 3000 be fore the drive will engage and it hits very hard. reverse is ok. I just replaced the cable but it has not gotten better. any ideas on what it is or if its out of adjustemnt? the drive is a 88 Bravo 1

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have a friend going thru the same thing. He just had a new lower shift cable put in and seem to help at first then back to where he was. He has to rev it to get it to go into reverse, then big clunk when it engages, Foward is fine.
To see if it needs adjustment take off the cable that goes down to the drive in the engine comparment and move it all the way by hand.
Drive guy thinks its the fork and the shaft in the back top drive cap. The drive guy is coming to look at his.

·
Registered
224 Posts
To check to see if it is out of adjustment just grab onto the lever on the shift plate and when you put the drive in forward/reverse and see if you can move it more to get it to engage.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't use it any more these drives will not take that at all. Very suprised it hasn't roached it already. If the shift cable is properly adjusted it sounds like a shift for or clutch related. Shifting at that high of rpm can wear a clutch cone fast. I would be prepared to replace the gear set. Early bravos had three groove clutches that would let oil build up and wouldn't release it and would cause alot of slipping.

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
not the cable...I'll put money on the clutches are worn. I just went through this on a boat at work last week. New cutch set and it shifted like silk.

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
bajacleveland said:
Is it true a new clutch set Dealer cost is 1,300. ? Does the whole set need replaced?
just did a clutch set on a Bravo 3. Also replaced the gears. this was a complete update kit for 99 and earlier year bravo 3's. This kit was $1400+ dealer cost

1 - 7 of 7 Posts