Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to install my outdrive today but it will not go all the way in..... It is about 1" from mating up. I have checked the alignment and that is good. I put a new gimbal bearing in and new o-rings on the input shaft of the drive. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? I don't want to force the drive on. Here is a pic of the project so far....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Did you try turning the prop to move the splines on the U-joint /driveshaft as you were pushing the drive in ??

And Oh, did you grease up the drive and the O-rings good, sometimes it takes a good push on the drive because of the seal, but you don't want to force anything either.. never a need to do that..

·
Registered
247 Posts
t500hps said:
Not suggesting this but one of the first drives I saw re-installed was real tight. My buddy kicked the chit out of the thing to drive it the last inch or 2. :shocked: :bigsmile:
:laugher: :laugher: the ole "mercruiser kick", seen that done before too. the last inch can be a B*&@h sometimes with those heavy MFers

is the X like an XR as far as larger u-joints? the XR takes the red dot gimble bearing and a smaller bellows crush ring.................just a thought

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try the kick in the morning. Yes the u-joints are the same the big heavy ones. I have the red dot bearing. I am hoping that it is just the new o-rings. Everything is greased and splines are lined up.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Are you sure that the alignment tool bottomed out against the gimbal bearing - I always give it a good thump against the gimbal bearing to make sure that the bearing is aligned properly.
The alignment tool should be able to slide all the way in and out with two fingers. You should never have to use your whole hand to pull it back out.
The drive should go on without much extra force. I NEVER have to kick mine on.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I had the same problem only the last 1/2 inch.
Check the new bellows ring and be sure it is now slipped off and binding the edge of the ring in the bellows.
I forced mine on after looking at it for 3 hours trying to figure it out.
2 hrs of running and so far so good.
But the different gimble bearing has to be installed so the short?small shoulder is toward the drive

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I had to remove the drive to pull the motor back out to replace oil pan to timing cover seal!!! So anyway the drive came right off and there is no signs of damage. Not sure why the last 1/2" it would not slide on but it pulled on using the bolts with no trouble. I will find out if it goes on easier the second time around in the next couple days.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I wonder if the nose of the drive sits inside the bellows ring and is a tighter fit?

Don't know. Never seen a cutaway of how the drive/belhousing/bellows inact and fit. :confused1

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
tmthunder said:
Well I had to remove the drive to pull the motor back out to replace oil pan to timing cover seal!!!
That is my next project. Seal the timing cover and pan corner. What is it about aftermarket oil pans to timing cover seals :dead1: :angry1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.