Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a question for all the people who do or have done construction. As you have probably read awhile ago, I've been looking to purchase a pole building to use as a garage. Well, then the idea hit me. Why pay over 14K for a building when I can pay under 7,500 for the same thing, but buy the materials and put it up myself? The pole building I'm buying materials for has 20 6x6 pt. posts for the "pole". My question is how much gravel do I put in the post hole? The post hole is 48 in. deep per county code for pole buildings in my area. Once that is established, would it be sufficient to put 3 50lb. bags of concrete in the hole or do I need to completely fill the hole with concrete after the post is in? I'll confirm this with county code people on Monday, I'd just like an estimate so I can start the calculation process, just to get something to kick around. Thanks guys, I appreciate your time.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Like you said it is kind of subject to code for a minimum.
If you wanted to make it stronger for a functional reason like storage or lifting, then that would be up to you.

I don't know but I have put several up when I was much younger.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
This sounds like a nice project..
I'm not familiar with what code is on a pole barn, but if they want the pole depth at min. of 4 ft , I would want a deeper hole for plenty of coarse gravel for drainage at the base and then a cement pad/footing under the poles. And as far as filling the hole, the code there will dictate what to do.
This is the critical & most important 1st step to a sound & lasting building.. everything else after footings & poles are in can be braced for strength if you need it..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts