Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a question. Currently I have my engines out for a re-power project and I'd like to change out the cables. I'd like to change out the throttle and the shift cables. I was hoping to do this myself, how hard would that be with the engines INSTALLED? I ask because my mechanic is very busy and I don't want to put anymore work/burden on him. Plus it's also kind of a financial issue also, if you get my drift? How hard is it to install cables without the engines? Can I do this myself or are there special tools, like intelligence...LOL

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Obviously much easier to change with engine out, but not impossible with engine in the boat. I just did a shift cable job last week on a twin bravo 3 application. Trickiest part was making sure the cable was routed correctly through the transome. That was the reason for replacing the cable in the 1st place, it was run by the engine coupler from the boat builder and had worn the sheething off until the cable poked through.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Yea the engine was in, and I have a 22ft boat, with very little room. we started around 10am, and were on the water by 1 in the afternoon. Good time to grease everything too, while the outdrive is off.

Like Norm said,
hardest part is routing the cable, and getting the bellows over the new cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.