Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how you guys with EFI boats manage to fog the engine; I have a fuel injected car that I don't drive for long periods of time and attempted to fog the engine. However, the ECM is somehow able to compensate for the incoming oil and it just keeps running, even with 2 cans of fogging oil. What's the trick?

·
Horsepower Junkie
1,693 Posts
when your running the motor, just spray in the fogging oil, then just turn the engine off after you see the smoke start pouring out of the exhaust. The only problem with doing that is that it's very bad for your 02 sensors. Also make sure you spray it in after your MAF and not before. The oil will mess up the way it reads the incoming air. If you have a speed density system you don't have to worry about that.

Frank

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I was told by someone to spray sea foam into the cylinders with the plugs out, turn over once then put the plugs back in...???

Might try that this year, winterizing possibly this weekend coming up.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
64LS1Nova said:
How long of a period of time are we talking, and what kind of engine is it?
It's for this car, a 92 firebird with the 350 tuned port injection engine. I'll go a couple months at a time without ever taking the cover off. Usually the battery is dead whenever I try to start it. Generally I never drive it during the winter, so it will sit about as long as the boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
There are some "fogging" spray cans that have an adapter to connect to the fuel rail.
Least wise seems to me I've seen them, because I tried to buy some "fogging oil" and they did not have the cans with just the straw for Carb engines. All they had were the ones with a nut fitting on the end.

Anyone ran into the same type fogger?

·
Registered
224 Posts
i,ve had trouble with efi,s hydrolocking due to the huge air plenum so no oil in the intake its a pain in the *** to pull plugs but its the only way to get the cylinders coated with oil we spin it with the plugs out to cover the walls then put plugs back in might try the premix in the fuel filter sometime

·
Registered
594 Posts
gm says do not fog the engine through the intake manifold, this can cause the tips of the injectors to become clogged, the proper storage is to mix 2 stroke oil and fuel stabilizer with fuel and run for 10 minutes, this also applies for the injected boat engines.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Part of the fogging practice is to coat the valve seats and faces. Open or partially opened valves are very suseptible to gettting spots of rust right in the wrong spots. cast iron surfaces, intake tracks, and port areas in the head should get coated too. Going through the intake is the best way to get these areas coated. Never heard of the fuel/oil mix in the filter before.

·
Registered
994 Posts
running an oil /gas mixture through the fuel water separator is not a bad idea I'll try that next year.
How much 2 stroke to gas so we don't clog those injectors?
When I invent the 2 stroke oil bottle that screws on to the filter housing, SPEEDWAKE WILL BE THE FIRST TO HAVE THEM :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
what we do where i use to work (as a Boat Tech) is mix up a 5 gal outboard tank of 50-1 pre mix, stabilizer. screw on a new filter and remover the inlet hose from the tank to the filter and "plug in" our mix and run the engine that way you know you have run it long enough (and not have to worry about running the engine too long and burn up what is in the fuel filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering how you guys with EFI boats manage to fog the engine; I have a fuel injected car that I don't drive for long periods of time and attempted to fog the engine. However, the ECM is somehow able to compensate for the incoming oil and it just keeps running, even with 2 cans of fogging oil. What's the trick?
WOW, I'm surprised they're no mechanics on this site.

Here's Mercury's Service Bulletin 2001-15 describing the procedure.

New Gasoline EFI/MPI Engine Fogging Procedure

Models:
All MerCruiser gasoline EFI and MPI engines.
NOTE: This change does not apply to carbureted engines produced in Stillwater or Hi-Performance
engines produced by Mercury Racing.

Change:
Follow this new fogging procedure when laying an engine up for storage.

Fogging Mixture:
In a 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank, mix:
5 US gal (19 L) regular unleaded 87 octane (90 RON) gasoline.
64 fl oz. (1.89 L) Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil.
5 fl oz. (150 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer, OR
1 fl oz. (30 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer
Concentrate.

New Fogging Procedure
1. Disconnect and plug boat’s fuel line from Water Separating Fuel Filter inlet.
2. Connect remote outboard fuel tank (with the fogging mixture) to the inlet of the Water
Separating Fuel Filter.
IMPORTANT: If the boat is out of the water, follow instructions for running engine on
flush device as found in service manual for the engine being fogged.
3. a. Cool Fuel models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes.
b. VST models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 10 minutes.
4. After specified running time is complete, slowly return throttle to idle rpm and shut engine
off.
IMPORTANT: Do not run engine’s fuel system dry of this fogging mixture in the 6 US
gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts