Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey is anyone out there a central air guy. I need some assistance.

A couple days ago I came home and my home was HOT. I went out and found my ac unit screaming hot and the fan not running. I shut it down and let it cool a while then I took it apart. I noticed that the fan motor was kinda stiff. So I oiled it up and pushed the manual start button on the motor starter contacts. Both the fan and the compressor started running. Okay so I think all is well.. I put it together and the unit was running but not cooling as effectively as I thought it should. It worked that night and cooled the house down to a typical level.

I come home today and find the house hot again. The Fan was turning very slowly and the compresor was still running. I pulled it apart again and hot the manual start button. The compressor would run but not the fan.

So my question is this. Im sure the fan motor is bad. What are the chances that the compressor got hot and is shot as well. Im kinda concerned the compressor is shot since when I did get it running it was not cooling like it should. Could it have ran hot and lost freon. Could it just need to have the freon topped off.....

what do you think...

·
Registered
261 Posts
most likely the compressor will be fine. They have thermal limits inside and hi presure reliefs internal as well. Not to say it was good for it, but I bet it will live to cool anouther day.

MM

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MM said:
most likely the compressor will be fine. They have thermal limits inside and hi presure reliefs internal as well. Not to say it was good for it, but I bet it will live to cool anouther day.

MM

thats good to hear. Do you think by it getting hot that it boiled off some freon or something. It just seemed to cool better prior to it getting hot.

is there a way to add freon yourself. I have added to cars before but I know nothing about home ac. so that may be a dumb question

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
Probably. A really dirty blower motor (and/or filter) can cause the same situation, freon is consumed, unit usually freezes up. Once the heat is not being dissipated by the fan.....

Probably going to need a new outside unit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You do not need freon unless you have a leak. Freon last forever if you can keep it in the system. If you are seeing lose of performance you may have damaged the compressor valves. ( warped)

Residental systems use R22 , I do not think you can buy it in small quanities, so probably not a DIY project

MM

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
like was said before it is a sealed system so as long as there is no leaks the freon cant go anywhere. since the fan is not pulling air across the condenser the system has no way to dissipate the heat so it has no way to remove the heat from the house. so I think if you replace the fan I think your problem will be fixed

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Replace it, the expected life of an AC is about 10 years, your's is past due! The efficiency of the newer equipment will pay for itself in a short time.

If you spend money to fix this one, you will continue to dump money in an endless pit of failing parts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I ran into this earlier this year. My drain line was clogged. A little shop vac action on the outside drain cleared it up. With water slowly running through it you may see a little algae build up. It may not be your problem but I would try that. I now do it once a month.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Life span on an A/C is probably 15 years.
I would say replace the condenser fan motor and the capacitor. If the capacitor serves both the fan and the compressor replace it with the exact same one. OH and be CAREFULL that is 240 volts you are messing with.

I own an HVAC company

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tinkerer said:
Life span on an A/C is probably 15 years.
I would say replace the condenser fan motor and the capacitor. If the capacitor serves both the fan and the compressor replace it with the exact same one. OH and be CAREFULL that is 240 volts you are messing with.

I own an HVAC company

Did exactly that and all is well now.

thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts