Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chaparral Villain IV 1992 value

We are intersted in purchasing this boat, but aren't sure of its true value as there aren't many out there.
It has approx. 1000 hrs on each motor, but they have been rebuilt last year. New intakes, new carbs, new water pumps, custom cams, scorpion rockers, drives rebuilt 3 years ago, recovered seats ( outside ), comes with tri-axle aluminum trailer ( great condition ). It was in the water 2 weeks ago, runs great.

The boat does 84mph on GPS.
It needs a good polish, but overall a good looking boat.

Anyone have any idea how much it would be worth?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 92, it has 2 454s ( modified ), my guess would be 400+ each. We would like to get them dynoed.
it's a 31'

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Wait a week. The way used boats been goin' a week from now will be about 1/2 the price!

Good Luck if you get it, ENJOY!

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
snopro1108 said:
I would say in good shape 25-28k...just my .02

:bandit:
I think you're about 10 grand optimistic!

The current dealer NADA book only goes back to 1995, getting 25K for that boat isn't happening either!

But you know what Barnum said! :blush:

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
I sold mine this spring for $19,500 (1988, 270 original hours on original 330 motors, GREAT condition).

The rigging on the motors is a mess in your pictures. Serviceability on these boats is about zero, I was scraped and bruised doing just about anything to mine, laying on top of one motor to get to the other.

I'm honestly a little confused how intakes, cams and rockers got this boat into the mid 80's? Find out what the original motors were, ask for documentation on the rebuilds.

Nice looking boat. Ours rode like a dream, took the chop like a much larger boat.

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
NADA has it between $18-19K plus trailer. (assuming they are around 425 HP motors.

I would wait a little, honestly, the way things have been going that could be a $15K dollar boat by the end of the season.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Not sure about other states, but in Texas the horsepower is listed on the boat`s title. If it has 425 hp, but title says 330 hp, 330 is the number you have to use to determine value.
But in this market -- throw NADA out the window. A 16 year old, twin-engine, less-popular brand boat is not hot commodity right now.
I`d say it`s a $18,500 boat, in my opinion, and that`s with the nice alum trailer thrown in.

I`d really like to know how that boat runs 84 on GPS with 454`s . . . :confused:
Sneaky suspicion thinks they might be early 502`s (with mods) or they are stroked 454`s.
My common sense tells me that big behemoth will never break 70 with stock power.
Those engines have definately been worked over or maybe Billy Banks is the salesman . . . ?? :laugher:

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Its a teens boat for sure... If its in great shape. It is a decent boat, but no way 84 on GPS with even 500 horse a side.
Motors dont increase the value, especially in this market... and with no good history on the power mods, I would definately use that as a bargaining tool to get the boat now or in the winter for less than 20.
I like the boat, I would stay on top of them... dont be anxious, the boat will surely sit at that price..

(I reserve the right to modify the last sentence in my post if the boat sells fast and for money in the 20's) :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The boat belongs to a friend of mine who left the province. He has all the paperwork for ALL the mods, and everything else he did himself.

It's not publically up for sale, he just wants to make a deal with me. I would have priced it at around 20K, but all the other IV's on the market are 80's and priced between 27K-29K, and NOT as fast. That's the confusing part...

I wouldn't want to get stuck with this thing and not be able to re-sell it later.

·
Registered
337 Posts
ghart said:
I think you're about 10 grand optimistic!

The current dealer NADA book only goes back to 1995, getting 25K for that boat isn't happening either!

But you know what Barnum said! :blush:

1992 CHAPARRAL BOATS VILLAIN IV/OS

July 29, 2008
Boats and Personal Watercraft
Length: 30'
Model Name/Description: VILLAIN IV/OS
Boat Type: Stern Drive Power Boat
Hull Material: Fiberglass

Beam: 8' 2"
Engine: 2
300 HP
Gasoline
Net Weight: 7400

PRICING

Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price
$18,450 $20,750
Reported Engine Range: 351 - 400 HP (5.7L - 8.1L)
Total adjustment for your engine(s): Add $5,990
TOTAL PRICE $24,440 $26,740

Notes

24-26k W/O options and a trailer per NADA

:confused:

·
12,273 Posts
Tesla said:
The boat belongs to a friend of mine who left the province. He has all the paperwork for ALL the mods, and everything else he did himself.

It's not publically up for sale, he just wants to make a deal with me. I would have priced it at around 20K, but all the other IV's on the market are 80's and priced between 27K-29K, and NOT as fast. That's the confusing part...

I wouldn't want to get stuck with this thing and not be able to re-sell it later.
First, it is always a bad idea to do business with a friend.

Second, don't confuse asking price with selling price.

Third, as this boat ages, you will have a difficult time finding a buyer at any price.

·
12,273 Posts
snopro1108 said:
1992 CHAPARRAL BOATS VILLAIN IV/OS :confused:
From my quick look at the NADA listing, 1992 was the last year that model was made.

Manufacturers never stop production without a reason, and you can be sure it wasn't because they couldn't build them as fast as they were selling! :laugher:

·
Registered
337 Posts
ghart said:
From my quick look at the NADA listing, 1992 was the last year that model was made.

Manufacturers never stop production without a reason, and you can be sure it wasn't because they couldn't build them as fast as they were selling! :laugher:
:laugher:

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
well.. It was more or less like sea ray... getting out of teh sport boat and moving to more practical boats to sell... So dont blame the boat as being a the reason for its demise.

If you see others all listed for similiar money... whats that tell you... They are all still for sale... in other words... still sitting at high prices. The other ones priced near the teens all sold and are not listed :p: :p: :p:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts