Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Left me with lots of questions...
Round "cams" ??
I assume that there is a groove on the "cam" or something that keeps the "rocker/valve tip attached.

I am thinking that is a lost cause. I can't imagine too much longer before vehicle voltage increases and solenoids/actuators open and close valves. With computer controlled spark and fuel, the valve timing is the only limitting factor to total control and variable "everything"

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I got that beat. In my second year of college I began design of a completely camless motor that used electromagnets to actuate valves. hooked to a computer you could vary valve timing almost infinately the possibilities were awesome.....problem was RPM of a conventional gasoline motor. I was going to build and test it on a Diesel motor, but half way through collecting parts and research for a patent found out GM already came up with it about 5 years earlier :angry1: talk about pissed!!! for like 2 month I was convinced I was going to skip the rest of college and get my golden ticket to the good life :laugher:

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
blkkat said:
I got that beat. In my second year of college I began design of a completely camless motor that used electromagnets to actuate valves. hooked to a computer you could vary valve timing almost infinately the possibilities were awesome
Now you are talking!!

What voltage did you run?
I have always heard that was curently limitting factor currently.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
RSCHAP1 said:
Now you are talking!!

What voltage did you run?
I have always heard that was curently limitting factor currently.
unfortunately I never got that far. I had a friend/buisness partner who was going to be in on it who was a computer engineer who was going to be in charge of all the electronics. once we figured out the time and expense with fabrication we had hoped to at least acquire the patent till we could get some money (no broker time in life then college) when we found the bad news. we had hoped to build the thing anyways, but without any real prize at the end it sort of fizzled out. :unhappy1: sadly it was my one and only original idea I think I've ever had ..... depressing isn't it. :laugher:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mercedes W196 grand prix car had springless (desmodromic) valves in 1954. All cars would probably have them today if Mercedes had stayed with their racing program but they retired in 1955 after one of their cars crashed and killed a bunch of spectators.
F1 cars all have pneumatic actuated valves because cams, lifters and springs don't do so good at 10000 rpm.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always had an idea for an "Iris" valved head.... no wieght, no springs, and almost no moving parts except a cam and linkage hooked to the iris.

had the same idea for a carburator too

·
Registered
76 Posts
BMW's setup uses an extra electronic camshaft. It allows almost infinite adjustment of valve lift. So much in fact that the motor has no throttle body, they vary the valve lift and timing to simulate the function of the throttle body. I believe the engine designation is their N52 and it has been in production for over 7 years. Google Valvetronic...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts