Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boats!!! It's always something!!! :dead1:

I bought brand new complete CMI E-Top cool collar headers/tail pipes in March 2005.
They have 100 hours on them. Yesterday I find that my motor is hydro locked when I tried to start it. The #6 cyl is filling up with water immediately after cranking motor w/ no plugs to blow out water. I "assume" it is a crack in the header pipe. No water in oil. - sounds like header leak. . . .yes?
Anyhow, "if" it is a header issue, my headers are 4 months out of warranty. How lenient is CMI on this type of issue?

BTW: Almost had a wonderful 45 mile trip home on one motor @7.5 mph!!! But thanks to some friends who went 200% the extra mile, I only had to go about 19 miles. It is now on the trailer, and I am about to remove the suspect header and pressure test it. Many thanks to OSO/Speedwake members: PatricklHill & Rogman as well as some other friends!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
BillR said:
Boats!!! It's always something!!! :dead1:

I bought brand new complete CMI E-Top cool collar headers/tail pipes in March 2005.
They have 100 hours on them. Yesterday I find that my motor is hydro locked when I tried to start it. The #6 cyl is filling up with water immediately after cranking motor w/ no plugs to blow out water. I "assume" it is a crack in the header pipe. No water in oil. - sounds like header leak. . . .yes?
Anyhow, "if" it is a header issue, my headers are 4 months out of warranty. How lenient is CMI on this type of issue?

BTW: Almost had a wonderful 45 mile trip home on one motor @7.5 mph!!! But thanks to some friends who went 200% the extra mile, I only had to go about 19 miles. It is now on the trailer, and I am about to remove the suspect header and pressure test it. Many thanks to OSO/Speedwake members: PatricklHill & Rogman as well as some other friends!!!!!!!!!!

my experiences is that they're extremely lenient. I have had issues twice and both times CMI came through for me.

jeff

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Headers are fine! Unfortunately!
That means blown head gasket, or cracked head or cracked block!
Any guesses?

Boat is now in NC and in the hands of Joey Griffin.
Gue$$ I'll find out $oon. :( :dead1: :(

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
head gasket - that's all

the chances of a cracked block or a cracked head on an engine recently rebuilt and maintained as well as yours are very slim.

Joey uses Felpro Blues - if you have blown a head gasket ask him specifically to use Cometics instead this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts