Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the coast guard auxillary give me a courtesy safety inspection today at the ramp. I got to talking with them and they are trying to recruit me. Is anyone a member here and what are your experiences with it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The CGAux has NO law enforcement authority. They can, and will, carry active CG persons at times and the active folks can write you and arrest you. IF they have an active CG person onboard, the boat can fly the CG ensign, which is red and white vertical stripes. If only aux folks aboard, the boat can NOT fly the CG ensign, only the Aux ensign, which is blue and white, divided vertically in thirds (blue, white, blue).

The CGAux is a great organization that takes a big load off the regular guard. They answer non-urgent and urgent rescue and assistance calls, provide traffic control at races and other events and boating safety education. You get to wear a uniform that is hot in summer and cold in winter (I wore it for 22 years) and you get reimbursed for gas and oil when actually doing CG stuff. I considered it, but my family said the Guard had enough of me for 22 years, now it was their turn!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gary864 said:
why not join your local water cops? More advantage to that IMHO
Gary, we need to talk some time, I have considered this too, but afraid I would loose too much boat time and I want to see how you work it. Plus I might chase off all the jet skis :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
instead join the united states power squadron. It offers the same boating courses without having to wear a uniform. It has squadrons all over the US. They have all the elective courses and also most insurance companies will give you a discount for passing there basic boating course. call me if you need any other info.
909-816-1101

1 - 5 of 5 Posts