Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yup, I’m sick and tired of this stinking dammed OMC King Cobra in my 97 454 boat! All I do is eat the dammed things! I want to switch over to Mercruiser! I know it is probably going to be expensive and I know it’s probably better to sell what I have and go buy one with it, but this f’ing thing is paid for and I am wondering if it is possible! If you guys think I am totally out of my mind, go ahead and say so!! :mad: :confused: :confused1 :angry1:

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
I looked at the same thing in a previous boat... I had a yamaha hydro drive... Very nice but no parts... Finnaly I sold it and bought what I wanted... In the long run that saved me money... I would sugest to sell the boat and put the extra money you have for the drive into a new-used boat and enjoy.... Less trouble and headaches...

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
I dont believe the transom cutout is anywhere near the same, but I could be wrong.

If that is the case, lots of glass/transom work. then you have to invest in the inner, and outer transom assemblies, and the drive, you wanna go bravo, I would say you are looking at $5,000 at an absolute minimum, using rebuilt parts. You might be able to recover a few $$$ from someone looking for a Cobra, but not much demand for them.

Personally, I would let it go, and buy a boat set up with a Bravo.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm quite sure the transom cut out is the same for a King Cobra to Merc Bravo. You might have to drill 2 more holes. The motor bellhousing will have to be changed to merc also.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
OK - this may sound really kookie, OMC to Merc very expensive. I have a thought though, and I don't have a clue if this will be any better. How about OMC to Volvo SX drive. Every 4 winns around here has the SX drive on it. I made a couple of calls to see if anyone knows anything about that and I can't get a good answer.

I haven't seen a King Cobra since 1995 & have zero experiece with 'em. I could swear that the Cobra & the SX use the same gasket at the bellhousing though.

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
FTM said:
I could swear that the Cobra & the SX use the same gasket at the bellhousing though.
That's a good possibility.
What problems have you had??? I had one for 7 years including a couple with a 540 through it :eek: . Sold it in 2000 with the original 460 in front of it and it's still going strong. The only problem I had was one shift cable and one ESM. Other than that it was great. Definitely loved the seawater pump set up (10 minute change).

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
I haven't seen any problems with an SX drive, I think they came ouy with it in 1995. However, there aren't any Big Blocks on this lake so I can't comment on BB & SX. There is a bunch of them here with small blocks and I haven't seen any failures yet.

·
Registered
318 Posts
there is a transom conversion plate made to convert what you want. I have seen them at my local marina they arent cheap I priced on and i was quoted around 750 and i think that was my price> owner always hooks me up on parts

·
Registered
32 Posts
The King Cobra should be bullet proof; at least compared to a Bravo. Sounds like you need a new mechanic?

The transom cutout is the same if you do swap.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow and fight with him a little. They replaced my "cone clutch" last spring and new shift cable ($1200) and all last summer I complained about it not shifting right. They said they looked it over and it shifts just fine for them when they water tested it. Water testing is nothing more than hooking it to the muffs! I get out on the water and go over any sort of rough stuff and the thing pops out of gear into neutral. Then I have to reset it back into forward again, sometimes by shifting back/forth from reverse to get it to catch. This past weekend I couldn't get it back into forward again and only had reverse and ended up hydro locking the engine, I think because of all the BS I was going thru to try and get it into forward to get back to shore and keeping the bow into the wakes of big cruisers. The engine quit on me and I ended up getting towed anyway. I only put 25 hours on the dammed thing last year because of no time and was always concerned about it breaking down because I couldn't get them to fix it right! I do have a little better feeling about it since I have had opinions from you guys about how good it is. I think it’s time for a new mechanic too! :mad:

·
Registered
689 Posts
The King Cobra should be bullet proof; at least compared to a Bravo. Sounds like you need a new mechanic?

The transom cutout is the same if you do swap.

I've never had any problems with the King Cobra's in my Donzi 33Z. I think the ignition system is as good or better than Merc. I've been told the King Cobra is like the Ford 9" rear and the Bravo 1 is like a Chevy 12 bolt.

I would keep the OMC stuff. The parts are cheaper to buy also if you need any.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If you decide on going to a merc, I have a complete inner and outer bravo transom assembly if you need it. Its in good shape with trim rams.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK - this may sound really kookie, OMC to Merc very expensive. I have a thought though, and I don't have a clue if this will be any better. How about OMC to Volvo SX drive. Every 4 winns around here has the SX drive on it. I made a couple of calls to see if anyone knows anything about that and I can't get a good answer.

I haven't seen a King Cobra since 1995 & have zero experiece with 'em. I could swear that the Cobra & the SX use the same gasket at the bellhousing though.
i think volvo bought the cobra and changed the name to sx.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts