Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inside port side. See the arrow. The hole was just a tad bigger on the inside. What can I fill that in with so no water damage. I used 5200 on the outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Not trying to tell you what to do, but I would have sealed the wood with resin before installing the tips.

That being said, GOOD JOB on the installation. :a1:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh :( If I am able to get a small brush in their with resin would that help? Boat is always trailer so I hope that helps that its not always exposed.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
load it up with 4200 fast cure, not 5200. if you ever have to take them out for any reason the 4200 will allow it. the 5200 is permanent and will most likely chip and crack the gelcoat and fiberglass when you try to break it free.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Mkos1980 said:
Ahh :( If I am able to get a small brush in their with resin would that help? Boat is always trailer so I hope that helps that its not always exposed.
It would help, but I don't know I f I would do it with the tips in.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
doh. I read alot on line about using this for a secure water tight connection but its too late now. I have 5200 on the flange and its bolted into the boat good now. I guess I'm screwed now. I'll fill it in with 4200 though.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also can I use a 4in T-Bolt clamp vs the regular hose clamps. I would feel this would be a better clamp esp in that area so no water can get past. I have a few laying around from a turbo setup I was working on.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Mkos1980 said:
Also can I use a 4in T-Bolt clamp vs the regular hose clamps. I would feel this would be a better clamp esp in that area so no water can get past. I have a few laying around from a turbo setup I was working on.
Ditto on the 4200.

As for the clamps, I agree on them being better. Are they stainless?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
3M 4200 is a very good marine grade polysulfide sealant (think silicone on steroids). 5200 is the permanent version.

You have a wood core in that transom. I would really like to see you pull those back off, get some MAAS or West System epoxy, and coat the end grain of that wood.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, thanks, im getting redy to put do my thru hull very soon, im gathering information on it right now, should I use the 4200 then?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts