Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could be worse I guess. I took the boat for another blast after regapping plugs trying to clean up transom. All of a sudden forward didnt want to come out of gear, had to yank hard, reverse was fine. I got scared, we had same problem with boatnuts drive ( right before it let loose !!! ) So I got home started with the simple test, pulled the shift cable off at the bracket on the motor,,,, still stiff !!! PHEW !!!! Anyone know where to get a good deal on shift cables? I would rather replace the whole assy, I dont know if it is the housing or the cable itself.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Go to Jerry's . Air Marine.Mine was pretty cheap. I also have a good one hanging on the wall in my garage on the right side by the triple cabinets.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought Jeff did yours? How did you know the lengh to buy?

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
DENNIS....Jeff did mine with Morse...you have to measure the one you have..I overnited mine so he could put it on asap..same thing happened to Sandy at PB2 in LOTO last year,it scared the beejesus at of me.She had enough sense to kill the motors!!! just as the boat ALMOST went passed the front of the trailer!!!!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
don't know a good deal on cables but I do have a set of new hoses that run from the power steering pump to that big valve that controls the steering....

:)

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
dennis,I bought mine at air marine and did it myself. Jeff was the one who told me to get a new one as they have a tendacy to ware out. After changing mine,it did the same thing,thats how I know the one in my garage is ok. The size is standard.go get it if you want to give it a try

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Something I think alot of people over look is that you can buy a cable lube that woork incredible. One dose every spring keeps them like new. If your cables then start to become stiff, it's your drive.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I didnt want to pull the old one out first,,, maybe wishful thinking, but I was hoping to cut the tiewraps tie the 2 cables together and pull the new one through with the old one. ( yeah, I dont think it will work either !!!

Paul,,, do you remember what Jerry wanted for the cable? I checked the liink from eddie ( thanks ) and it showed $24 for a 12',,, seems to cheap !!!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK,,, looked real close at roddnreel ,,,,, I have a 16' cable,,,, it shows $15 !!!! Just to make sure,,, is a shifter cable the 33-C ?

·
chief bottle washer
1,561 Posts
Go to shift cables, then Mercury. You should have a Mercury set up in the Baja, I would take a look at the pictures. The Mercury cable is the one I would think you would need.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called and he wasnt very helpful, of course it was 4 minuts to closing so I can't blame him to much.

I found a kink in the cable at the motor. I straightened it out and it seems better, so I might put it back on the boat and see how it is. ( Yes I'm very cheap !!! )

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
obnoxus said:
I found a kink in the cable at the motor. I straightened it out and it seems better, so I might put it back on the boat and see how it is. ( Yes I'm very cheap !!! ) [/B]

That's a understament??
Your mother claims you still have your money from your baptism:D

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And your point !!!???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts