Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
coupler question

What are the signs that an engine coupler might be going, if there are any, or do they just go?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, to be honest with you, mine blew on me 2 weeks ago and at the time I eas runnimg at about 45 mph and with no sign at all, all of the sudden it just felt like going into neutral along with a strong rubber burnt smell and when I lift the hatch I saw smoke commin out.

Well, not exactly like neutral, cause I could still feell some resistance. Once the boat stopped, I raise the drive and put it in gear and I coul see that the prop was turning at idlle but as soon as I try to rev it would slipp.

But like I said, all day long as well as just before it happend, there was no sign at all. No vibration nothing.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was heading across the lake the other day and I noticed my rpms would go from 3200 to 3800 every now and then and I hadn't touched the throttles. Also at 3200 I am usually going faster then I felt I was going and of course my speedo wasn't hooked up, forgot to do that before I left, the marina forgot after the drive maint. I did have 2 more people in the boat and 2 full coolers that I normally don't have

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm sure that it's not the coupler, these thing cant slip on and off, when they go, they go for good.

Maybe you were trimed out a little to much and then going thrue somme rough water the prop slipped a bit???

·
Registered
961 Posts
Doesn't sound like a coupler to me... when they let go, they let go!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is good to know. Maybe the extra weight and wind was causing the problem.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could be. I thought about that. I will keep an eye on things next time out

·
Registered
283 Posts
Normally once you are in gear your coupler will not let go, it is after you go back to neutral that it will quit on you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts