Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
I realize this original post is about 5 years old, but I know the river still exists. Does anyone ever get up that way? Just throwin' it out. plus, I am new to this site and found this thread, thot I'd ask. I grew up in this area and know a fair amount for a fudgy.

tom

· Registered
4,024 Posts
FISHINSUX said:
I realize this original post is about 5 years old, but I know the river still exists. Does anyone ever get up that way? Just throwin' it out. plus, I am new to this site and found this thread, thot I'd ask. I grew up in this area and know a fair amount for a fudgy.

tom
yup, I took a trip up to the indian river area summer before last, rented a cabin in topinabee and spent a couple days on burt, mullet, and lake huron.

Dominator scott also took a trip up there last summer. I'm hoping to take a trip this summer.

· Registered
13,336 Posts
Made this trip several times. We have stayed in cabins on the water. Stayed at local hotels. And have stayed on the boat for for a few days where ever we decided to anchor for the day. It is a GREAT area, as is most all of northern michigan from higgins lake north!

One of the best times I had was actually on a pontoon, i was the passanger for the weekend and never had to drive. Just sit back and enjoy my beers!

The trip we spend and stayed on the boat, we spent one night in crooked, one night in burt, one night in cheboygan, 1 night in Mackinac Islans, one night in Hessel, then one night in St. ignace, then back to indian river to haul out. I did all of this on my 21' boat back in 1998. just myself and 1 other person. It was a blast though. Besides the 4- or so footers running back from hessel to cheboygan. At least we were running with them!

Back then you were allowed to stop and google under the bridage. Since 9/11 there has been a sstop to that. But we have left mackinac after last call one night and the lake was glass, so we decided to run to the bridge, sit back and enjoy the time out there! 3am was our return time. Very cool trip that was.

The last time I was there we stayed at the Indian River Landings. Not the greatest place, but more than accomodating for what we used it for! One day spent running west, another day spent running east.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Indian Rivers and the surrounding lakes (including the big lakes) are some of the best boating in Michigan (my opinion). We skipped last summer, but are planning a trip this summer in August. We had really nice weather and were able to run out to the island and under the bridge. We stayed in Macinaw City and put in on Burt Lake one day and Mullet Lake the other. The water is crystal clear. I'll see if I can come up with some pix of us under the bridge.

· Registered
13,336 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:
I agree with sun98, its one of my favorite places to boat, solo, or with a group.
SPEAKING OF SOLO. I spent a weekend up there by myself on my Senza. No cabin or cover. Just an enclosed bow and a sleeping bag. I was bored as chit with LSC and decided to drive up friday at about 4pm after work. I stopped home, grabbed a duffel bag and off I went. Nobody wanted to go! I launched at the landings, stayed the night on the gas dock. Next morning was fishing by 6 am at burt, just north of the Indian river entrance. 3 walleye that morning. Made for a great dinner that night. which I spent on pickeral lake anchored. The trip was great, met a few people at the sand bar on burt, then went the rest of the way west in the afternoon to anchor for the night. Trip was great until i woke up to thunderstorms, and torrential down pours with visibility at about zero. Made it to the clam river. Had breakfast with the lock atendee then made my way back to the landings with no canvas, no rain gear and no dry towels or close left! But hey, It was a fun spontaneous trip!

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Now that I am back from spring break, it is time to start planning for the summer vacation. Does anyone have any good suggestion on where to stay around Indian Rivers? I would like to stay on the river or one of the lakes so we don't have to pull the boats every night.

· Premium Member
9,049 Posts
Stevem_GR said:
Now that I am back from spring break, it is time to start planning for the summer vacation. Does anyone have any good suggestion on where to stay around Indian Rivers? I would like to stay on the river or one of the lakes so we don't have to pull the boats every night.

We always stay at the Days Inn on the Cheboygan River. It's a little pricey but the owners are great people and really take care of their guests. Plus all the dining locations in Cheboygan will come and pick you up at the hotel for dinner and take you back when your finished. I personally recommend The Boathouse for your dining. Great food and service at reasonable pices.

Here are a few pics from Labor Day Weekend in Cheboygan.

Attachments

· Registered
121 Posts
Great Pix Scott!

It has been since '86 that I was a regular fudgy up there. last time I ran the chain, my grandmother had a place on Crooked, I still have aunts and uncles that own a couple hundred feet of frontage on Pickerel (right at the mouth of the river from Crooked, left side), and an aunt on Burt. My Grandmother started Holiday Homes Resort on Burt in '57, last I knew, it was still there in '02. I have not run the waters since then, but even then I got a lot of dirty looks.....'never used to be a 'no wake zone' here, WTF?'

Stevem, there used to be a hotel in Indian River right down from the mouth of Burt on the river, had a bar and restaurant as well called the Pinehurst. My info may be a bit outdated, but that is what it was. I have told my wife we may have to make a trip up north this year, maybe we will run across each other,
tom

· Registered
8,839 Posts
I have always stayed at the Best Western in Cheboygan. Only seperated from the Days Inn by a Big Boy. Park the truck trailer out front, walk out of the room, boat tied up right next to it. I think the Days Inn has regular docks out now.
Wife and son's favorite trip!

I am hoping for Torch Lake this year!!

· Registered
1,013 Posts
I haven't set a date to go up yet, but I am thinking the first weekend in August. We normally go up on a Wednesday night and boat until Sunday. I still need to find the pictures of our last trip '07. It is a lot of fun. Does anyone know if you can still do the complete loop?

· Registered
121 Posts
T & A Near said:
The Pinehurst is still there - just a bar know.
No Kidding, it's still there.....too cool! Well, depending on the shape it's in, used to be kinda decent in the 80's.

I got to thinkin about it, does anyone know what that big place being built on the crooked river was (in the Hay Lake area south of the marina)? It was new in like '02 over just North of Alanson. Probably condos, but it may have rentals in it, I don't know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.