Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I was rafted off at Shooters in the Flats (Cleveland) with 2 other boats. At about 1:30am a 500' freighter was heading out the cut and didn't take the turn wide enough and smashed into our boats and the dock. To make a long story short- my boat as well as my buddies boats got Crunched. Really hard!

Had a surveyor out to look at the damage and found that most of it was cosmetic, although he did see a little bit of spider cracking in the stern. Bottom line is that my boat was damaged pretty bad and it will NEVER be the same. Talked to my insurance guy and he said that the frieghters insurance company will pay for the damage, but not only will this take months for the claims to go through, my fountain will never be the same. Resell value and all the monthly payments I still need to make on the damn boat (dry rack storage, insurance, boat payments, etc.) are still my responsibility. Don't you think that this all comes into comsideration when it comes time to deal with the insurance? Pissed off and looking for some advice.:mad:

Josh
H2O Performance
www.H2Operformance.com

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Boats are not like cars and you could make a real case for "loss of use". I would hire an attorney with some experience in maritime law.

- jeff

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Unfortunatly, this is one of thoses times when a " total loss " would have been better.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I can't believe that frieghters actually get that close to boats that are rafted off of a dock ?!

I would definitely get a lawyer .

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
if the structural integrity of the boat has been compromised then I would seriously press the surveyor to declare the boat a total loss. If he's not cooperative I'd contact the manufacturer and/or another surveyor. Remember - the squeaky wheel gets the grease....

take it from me...and Karen will attest

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
JEFFJ said:
if the structural integrity of the boat has been compromised then I would seriously press the surveyor to declare the boat a total loss. If he's not cooperative I'd contact the manufacturer and/or another surveyor. Remember - the squeaky wheel gets the grease....

take it from me...and Karen will attest
Yep for sure!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts