Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm visiting my Dad July 12 through July 17 and would love to get in some fishing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a charter that they would recommend?

I'm most interested in going out into the gulf rather than fishing the flats.

Wanna' be able to bring home dinner... :D

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
seanclong said:
I'm visiting my Dad July 12 through July 17 and would love to get in some fishing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a charter that they would recommend?

I'm most interested in going out into the gulf rather than fishing the flats.

Wanna' be able to bring home dinner... :D
I dont know of any charters or drifts out of Bonita, but I am sure ya can find something up the road in Ft. Myers. I may be over there that weekend for my anniversary also, we have a place right off Bonita Beach Road.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Look for a party boat (aka head boat) that goes out at night. You'll be cooler, and likely to catch some yellowtail snapper, which is my favorte fish, bar none! Also, a party boat will cost much less. The poor charter boat guys are getting killed by the price of fuel, and they are also getting killed due to the econonmy. Charter boats are a luxury item that people can do without, if they have to.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have a charter I go out 50-65 miles with 6 guys for 12 hours. $150 a person and last time I brought home 21 pounds of grouper filets. I may sell my boat and go back to a performance boat because I can charter cheaper.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Mr. Demeanor said:
I have a charter I go out 50-65 miles with 6 guys for 12 hours. $150 a person and last time I brought home 21 pounds of grouper filets. I may sell my boat and go back to a performance boat because I can charter cheaper.
That's a good deal! Next time I'm down that way, hook me up.
I've killed more fish than red tide! :)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Just let me know. This is no high class trip. This is a commercial boat that he also runs charters on. Capt. Joe has been known to yell at clients when they lose fish or grab the line and start pulling them in by hand if you dont crank fast enough. He's a real charictar.

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
Mr. Demeanor said:
I'd be down for that, let me know when ya wanna go :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cuda said:
Look for a party boat (aka head boat) that goes out at night. You'll be cooler, and likely to catch some yellowtail snapper, which is my favorte fish, bar none! Also, a party boat will cost much less. The poor charter boat guys are getting killed by the price of fuel, and they are also getting killed due to the econonmy. Charter boats are a luxury item that people can do without, if they have to.
Yep. I think I might do the head boat thing. It's just me (my dad not much of an angler) and a charter is probably a luxury that (just one guy) wouldn't make sense.

·
Registered
283 Posts
At the Naples city dock you can have your choice of charters. When I go to put gas in my boat they are all just sitting there. Sounds like you can choose your price to go out for a little fishing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. It rained hard all week. I'm sure some of you who are local to the area would agree. I thought I would have to take an ark to the airport to get home. :eek:

I didn't get a chance to do any fishing but I did check out the options.

1/2 day on a party boat (7:30 AM - 12:30 PM) runs about $70 now. They had a flyer that quoted $40, but that was before fuel prices went stratospheric.

Night-time snapper fishing is only from Oct-March. Basically the high-season. I guess they can't fill the boat otherwise.

I did also see something that sounded cool. Three-day fishing trips to the Dry Tortugas. You could get a lot of fishing done over 72 hrs... :bigsmile:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes I recall the week of rain. The boat sat and could not move. Next time down I will help you with some more suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts