Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about the two stroke 6v-92's?? We have one that is blowing a lot of black smoke and seems to be down on power.

Have had one suggestion of a possible air intake restriction that I have not checked out yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
594 Posts
oh man...let go. first off 6v92 is a great engine when it goes not have a ton of hours on it. first off when was the rack run on it last? the biggest problem is valve adjustment and injector rack adjustment. the 2 stroke with tight valves and injector rack being to tight ( too much advance) or stroke will result in lots of exhaust smoke. the other thing is lack of compression. they run at 25 to 1 or about 500 psi on compression stroke. the tell tale sign of the rings or liners going bad is a lot of oil coming out of the block puke tube when running it above 2500 rpm, max rpm should be 2850. If it is not getting there is could also be related to injector issues if the adjustments are correct. the othe rissue could be lack of blower pressure, does the blower make a constant whine while running at idle or does it clatter? clatter is bad and means worn roter blades. these are just a few of the problems you may be incuring. what about fuel? water and algie will cause running problems due to lack of fuel supply. email me with a phone number and we can talk detroit all day if needed

Joe [email protected]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. A little more info from me. 1995 model 6v92 not electronically controlled with less than 600 hrs.

Will check for air restriction this weekend and go from there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
whiplash pretty much hit it on the head, lots of problems with valve adjustment and injector timing. Also lots of problems with boost pressures due to worn out blower rotors. Only other problem i see a lot of is leaking exhuast manifold gaskets, but they have to be leaking pretty bad to start causing a running problem.

The injectors are still electronic aren't they? I wasn't aware you could get a 6v92 with fully mechanical injectors, the only ones i've ever worked on are at least partially electronic, but it's been awhile so I could very well be wrong.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey Bill definitely check the fuel filters. I know you don't get to use as much as want to so allot of times the diesel will set and if any water is in it it will get algae in it quick. Make sure they are a minimum of 10 micron prefer 30 micron filters. Give me a call at the shop 301-899-2220 some of my old guys at Washburn's might be able to help. Steve

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
snivley whiplash said:
oh man...let go. first off 6v92 is a great engine when it goes not have a ton of hours on it. first off when was the rack run on it last? the biggest problem is valve adjustment and injector rack adjustment. the 2 stroke with tight valves and injector rack being to tight ( too much advance) or stroke will result in lots of exhaust smoke. the other thing is lack of compression. they run at 25 to 1 or about 500 psi on compression stroke. the tell tale sign of the rings or liners going bad is a lot of oil coming out of the block puke tube when running it above 2500 rpm, max rpm should be 2850. If it is not getting there is could also be related to injector issues if the adjustments are correct. the othe rissue could be lack of blower pressure, does the blower make a constant whine while running at idle or does it clatter? clatter is bad and means worn roter blades. these are just a few of the problems you may be incuring. what about fuel? water and algie will cause running problems due to lack of fuel supply. email me with a phone number and we can talk detroit all day if needed

Joe [email protected]

dang - you know your stuff!

·
Registered
594 Posts
speedwake,
used to build hot rod 92 silver 8v engines with LARGE turbo's on top of the blower. never put on on a dino, but man they made lots of power in the trucks we put them in.

·
Registered
330 Posts
snivley whiplash said:
speedwake,
used to build hot rod 92 silver 8v engines with LARGE turbo's on top of the blower. never put on on a dino, but man they made lots of power in the trucks we put them in.
pics of said setup? sounds awesome!

·
Registered
594 Posts
sorry guys no pics exsist. did a lot of log trucks on he mis 80's did one Kenworth, estimated at 600hp hauling 80K up a three mile mountian pass at 75 mph and never slowed down. just watch the pryo gauge at 1600 degrees gotta let off............way too hot, they would melt the liner sealing rings (head gasket) at that temp. last I remember we were getting about 40 psi at the manifold. good times............
Snivley

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was told by a old time 92 series driver that before
you leave for your run you slam the drivers door on your
hand and then run that 92 like your pizzed at it all day.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We had a old 318 run past the governer one time and
our mechanic threw a metal 5 gal. grease pail over the
intake to choke it out, it sucked that grease bucket into
the air tube about 6".

·
Registered
475 Posts
We had one at tank school go off and my buddy threw his field jacket on it to choke it out. It sucked it down and never miss a beat. After that it was a$$ holes and elbows getting out of there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We also had a v 12- 71 series on a well drilling rig go
nuts on us, our mechanic tried to knock off the fuel line
fitting with a hammer and when he leaned over to do it
he fell against the drill lever and drilled right out our
garage door. Didn't make the boss to happy but it was
funny

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Turbo Charged? My Pops boat has sucked 2 injectors so far the last few years, but the tell tale is much worse with his motors... It dumps fuel and chews up the turbine inthe turbo immediately... Don't know if that helped or not... But we have had some experience fixing them... Mostly hire a mechanic though...done in a few days....

·
Registered
550 Posts
mark woolard said:
We had one at tank school go off and my buddy threw his field jacket on it to choke it out. It sucked it down and never miss a beat. After that it was a$$ holes and elbows getting out of there.
Fort Knox ?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, after picking the boat up this weekend here is what was found.

Checked shut off valve on turbo. It is in the open position.

Pulled air cleaners off both engines. Checked turbos. Port engine turbo blades are clean and shiny and spin freely. Starboard engine turbo blades are black/sooty/oily but spin freely. Switched air filters to opposite engines.

Did not get a chance to change fuel filters.

Smoke appears on take off and stays consistant while running.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts