Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
My 30 ft. Spectre, and my 24 Skater would always do it up to about 65 to 70, then you could slow down to whatever speed and it wouldn't do it, one way around it was as you accelerated to put a little steer into it, as my buddy says, or just turn the wheel a little and put some drag on it and it would quit, but I kinda enjoyed it, made it fun. A lot of times if I was taking a newbie for a ride I'd power up as it was lifting and really get it up just for the thrill factor. :laugher:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Add a tunnel tab & you can prevent it at almost any speed.... other then that... yup.. full tunnel's "gulp" air & gallop along at certain speeds.... nature of the beast....

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The cat in the video could easily eliminate the porpoising by trimming the tab down a notch.
I don't think it's porpoising too bad though and could easily push the throttles a bit more to ait the boat out more. Looks like he's in for just a leasurely cruise ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
SuperMan said:
Normal for any true, full tunnel cat.
no not all.. the 43 nor tech has a little CG problem and does porpoise at some speeds...most of the time the "porpoise" you see is air starting to pack in the tunnel but the boat is not carring enough speed to keep it packed..I have been in dangerzone before and it runs fine after 85 mph..

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the tunnel tab actually contact the water like a normal tab or does it just close off the tunnel so air is trapped at slower speeds?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
under way the tunnel tab never touches the water.... it extends the bottom of the boat that holds air....

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you add a tunnel tab be very very careful. We do not recommend tunnel tabs for recreational boats.

There are situations when tab can be applied but you must really understand what occurs and how critical the shape and placement of the tab can be.

Generally speaking tunnel tabs are suicide on recreational boats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts