3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I have not received a BWI or a DUI.

Im just curious if a BWI effects your drivers record or licenses status

No I dont intend to get on. Just curious

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Texas law puts the same penalty on boating while intoxicated (BWI) as it does driving while intoxicated. Not sure about Kantukie :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Registered
239 Posts
AX,
In KY as BWI will lose your drivers license for min of 30 days. Be careful even if you are just hanging out. If the keys are in the boat and you are over they still can nail you. Keys out and anchor down you might have an out.

I had this discussion with the KY boys while anchored close to shore. I was done for the day and was overnighting on the boat. It is still BWI even if the grill is out, anchor down etc. as long as there are keys. Now how these guys on the houseboats get away with it I don't know. When I overnight the boat is just my hotel when the anchor drops.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
They changed the law in NY a little over a year ago so it does affect your DL now. The way it was explained to me by a state cop is anchor down is considered a parked vehicle and youre OK. Anchor up even if youre tied to other boats floating along then youre in trouble if youre over. Now whats different about a boat and car is its legal to drink and drive a boat but its not legal to be drunk and drive a boat. You can drive down the lake with a beer in your hand and waive to the cop as long as youre not over.....I wouldnt suggest it though....

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
DagaH2X said:
They changed the law in NY a little over a year ago so it does affect your DL now. The way it was explained to me by a state cop is anchor down is considered a parked vehicle and youre OK. Anchor up even if youre tied to other boats floating along then youre in trouble if youre over. Now whats different about a boat and car is its legal to drink and drive a boat but its not legal to be drunk and drive a boat. You can drive down the lake with a beer in your hand and waive to the cop as long as youre not over.....I wouldnt suggest it though....

I thought NY had an open container law? :confused:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
GRH said:
As of a couple years ago when I took my boaters safety course they did not, we asked the state cop that directly and he said it was OK to have open container as long as youre not over the limit.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
GRH said:
Yes, they do Gary. You must have a open beer when you are in a boat. Period. No if's and's or but's. I find this law hard to follow as I don't like it when the beer spills when I'm going fast or in rough water but the law is the law. :drnk

Sorry, I'm just in a very silly mood right now. Just pounded a Diet Coke :laugher:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Sacandaga said:
Yes, they do Gary. You must have a open beer when you are in a boat. Period. No if's and's or but's. I find this law hard to follow as I don't like it when the beer spills when I'm going fast or in rough water but the law is the law. :drnk

Sorry, I'm just in a very silly mood right now. Just pounded a Diet Coke :laugher:

:laugher: :laugher:

Speaking of which its almost time to crank one open, getting ready to wash and buff the checkmate....well at least get it started. Should be in the water tomorrow and/or Sunday....

Joe try caffenine free......

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to start mine hopefully tomorrow. I'd like to take a spin on Sunday if the weather is nice.

I need all the caffeine I can get!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts