Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
snopro1108 said:
LOL......Not that I have a boat to put it on I was just wondering as I have seen it postes several times...I take that as a no :winker:
:laugher:

Yea, I guess that would be correct..

There's always some hint of truth in all gimmicks, and Cold Air induction is no secret, (thats the truth part) but it would be hard for them to back up their claims of more power on every boat, because there's too many variables from boat to boat..

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Say if it was true, he's in for a rude awakening with many engines in the performance marine world.

Say.....a 502-540 that consumes over 800cfm of air. What happens ? :D

Don't read into anything generically as what work's on one motor/vehicle does not mean it will work on another. :winker:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I had a pontiac Grand Am come into my shop with something just like that, it is basically was a small electric fan in a tube. I could go to an electric store and build one for about $15.00. If anything it probably hurt performance by being an intake obstruction.

Amazing how people will take advantage of stupid people. Just like all the great new Fuel Economy improvers on Ebay now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
E-ram is probably the only legit electric supercharger out there,its not one of those bilge blower contraptions on ebay,problem is its for a very small engine such as a 4cyl import and is only for momentary use. Lastly it draws 50-60amps!!
Their own test show only a 8hp gain on a 3.0l engine.
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/test-results.html

The bilge blower ones on ebay are just that ,a bilge blower, draw very little power and push almost no air. What they will do is come apart and get sucked into your engine.
A 502 would probably just suck the whole thing in as a snack.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
My Liberator, like many boats, ran a little better with the engine hatch ceracked open even though it had decent ventilation. I rigged up a couple bilge blowers and flexible vent to bring fresh cool air straight to the flame arrestor. Worked better than cracking the hatch

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Mr. Demeanor said:
My Liberator, like many boats, ran a little better with the engine hatch ceracked open even though it had decent ventilation. I rigged up a couple bilge blowers and flexible vent to bring fresh cool air straight to the flame arrestor. Worked better than cracking the hatch
Actually, I think that could benefit you. But using a blower as an "electric supercharger" is pushing it.

But, who knows on smaller engines it may work!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You can just barely see the bilge blowers at the ends of the flex tubing. These were routed into the cockpit area. We overnighted on this boat regularly and found another neat benefit. With the cocpit cover on you could tuen these on and it would draw air out of the cockpit and cuddy. Cool nightime air would flow in through open deck hatch over the v-berth into the cuddy. It worked like a whole house fan for the boat.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Doesn't look ******* at all. Lots of guys had similar "Ram Air" setups in cars back in the 70's...twin pickups behind the grille ran air through flexible venting similar to above, then into specially-designed air cleaners with twin inlets. Was definitely good for a few HP. For a cleaner look, you might substitute black poly ribbed drain pipe (the non-slit vented type) which might look nicer; it's also more rigid, and tends not to sag as much as some other types of venting. Good idea, though! :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.