Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 99 baja hammer 7.4L MPI I have noticed alot of oil in my bilge. I have filled my drive oil resevoir up once. I noticed that the connection at the resevoir may have been leaking, so I put a better clamp on it. Seemed to have stopped the seepage there. I traced the hose around the engine to where it goes into the stern drive. There is supposedly a 90 degree fitting it hooks up to. Very hard to see, if impossible and hard to feel. I have no external oil leaks from my drive. I am led to believe this is an internal leak. Two things: can I fix it (not a mechanic) and how much am I looking at in time and $$$ for the shop to fix this? Is this a major problem or should I just keep filling the resevoir?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
if the boats out of the water get a good engine degreaser clean it very good and see if you can get it to leak for you out of the water by moving the steering and the trim at the same time, dont run the engine. leaks can be from one place and show up at another very easy if you can narrow it down to whats needs replace it will save you some money. it depends whats leaking if you want to try to fix it your self.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must have a gremlin in my engine compartment. Came home today and the drive resevoir was full again. This dammn thing is acting like a barometer. Can anyone give me a hint as to what may be up with htis or is my boat just Haunted?:confused:

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
If I were you I would call out an exercist to rid you of the deamons that are inside:D

All jokes aside Jim if it was over filled it could over flow if it were to get hot enuff, but I kinda dought that is what is happening. I would go with crmax's idea of cleaning it real good and trying to see if you can spot the leak. I know it is tuff to get at but there most likley isn't an easy path to finding the leak. Sorry dude...Good luck and if ya figure that sucker out let us know what it was!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Follow up to leaking gear lube

Well, I believe the problem is solved. The resevoir still is going up and down about 1/4" (Ouiji board would not even give me an answer on that!). The hose where it connects at the bottom of the resevoir bottle was clamped on by a "cheap"plastic clamp. Noticed some leakage there. I replaced it with a metal clamp. Problem solved for now. Where the hose connects to the stern drive unit however is clamped on by the same "cheap" plastic clamp. There was no evidence of leakage there. If the one near the sterndrive ever goes bad, that will be a bear to fix. Very confined space, will have to remove the battery, hatch jack screw and motor and the rubber exhaust tube just to get in close enough to it. Then after working around all the other hoses and "stuff" down there with a little luck, replacing the clamp will be the hard part. You need some really long fingers and the a long screwdriver or ratchet extension to tighten the clamp. I will keep my fingers crossed. We will se this weekend. Thanx for all the help and info. Probably saved me a few hundred bucks for something I could have done myself. Some one else mentioned the "pinion seal" to. I asked the local mechanic and he did not know what it was, (looks like I will have to do some searching for another mechanic, if after I call mercruiser and they confirm it exists). It is supposedly made of steel and with all the water, prone to some corrosion. I will folow up on that too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx, for all the help fella's. Problem solved. It was the plastic clamp at the resevoir bottle. Bought a $.50 metal one and taped the hose, No more problems. Great tip on keeping the resevoir bottle near add. After beating the hell out of the boat and knocking my trim wire loose, I had fluid all over the engine compartment. Re-connected the wire, cleaned the compartment up and the thing ran great for the next 10 hours. Yeah put alot on the boat this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts