Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, was out the other day and while running at about 3500 rpm's went to trim the drives up a little and when I hit the switches the engine's slowed, then I let off and the picked back up. I looked in the engine compatment and the trim pumps are wired to the engines. Is this correct? I would think that they should be wired to the batteries. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
1st, The wiring sounds correct as you are, but where Exactly is it wired to on the engine??
My guess is that the engine slowed down a bit because of an increased load on the alternator, what was the volt gauge doing when all this was happening??
Check all your connections, (power & grounds) make sure their clean & tight..
It could also be caused by a solenoid going bad, Did it only happen when you trimmed Up, but not down, or both ??
How old is the battery??

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both batteries are new this year. I will have to try and get under there and make sure all of the connections are tight, I only tried it with both, I will have to try it with either and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
You are pulling some SERIOUS electrical load to pull the engine down through the alternator.

I would check the connections of the pumps where they hook up at BOTH ends. Grounds and power. Then recheck the power AND grounds to your TBIV ignition module. Grounds are the most overlooked part of the equations but cause 50% of the problems.
Grounds should not have any powder or crud on them. If they do clean and coat with corrosion preventative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.