Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. i have a problem...i have a baja (insignificant) with a 454 mag fuel injected. recently at around 3500 rpms or above the motor cuts for a second and goes on like nothing happened. the cut is abrubt and is like you throttle completely down for a half second and hammer right back on. it wasnt too bad at first, maybe twice in a 5 minute span, but more recently it has been about one a minute, and today the motor cut twice at idle (shut completely off) and once while trying to get on plane. after it intially happened i changed the oil and fuel/water separator and its the same, if not getting worse with every run. any help is appreciated.
thanks in advance!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was having a similar problem on my 87 350 mag. What
ignition system do you have? Mine has the thunderbolt IV, and it ended up bieng the rotor pickup coil on the distributor. From what i understant once that pickup, or the reluctor on the rotor starts to wear u can end up with an erratic seconday ignition signal, that will act up at any given time. Just something to look into, it could be just about anything, but you never know, and those parts are a cheap oops... if thats not it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually it was the tach shorting out the coil. disconnected the tach, problem solved. just need to drop my tach off at livorsi, and they will fix it for like 65 bux...good thing i live close, makes for a cheap, quick fix!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey... Good to hear you got a good cheap fix for your problem. I'm a fellow Illinois boater myself, and I do make it up to the chain for thunder on the water a couple of times a year, but havent yet this summer. I'm always looking for a boating buddy. Good to know your out there...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thursday night races huh? always a good time. ive got a yellow 23' baja, boat name is "knot fast" dont be afraid to say hello! im not hard to find.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Chain Runner said:
actually it was the tach shorting out the coil. disconnected the tach, problem solved. just need to drop my tach off at livorsi, and they will fix it for like 65 bux...good thing i live close, makes for a cheap, quick fix!
Thank's for the follow-up , and you got the problem nailed, many threads go with no follow-up, and dead ends, which does'nt let people know the final out-come.

Including one of mine, now that I think of it.. :shocked:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts