Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Merc 502 mpi. Running about 3000 rpms and the engine just quit running. Quick check around nothing out of the ordinary, crank engine, turns over but won't start. Got towed in replaced fuel water separator (no water). Put it on dry and turned key on several times and it is filled with gas. Checked fuse box and reset buttons on engine. Checked lanyard/kill switch. Checked to make sure it has spark. What is next? Sounds like something electrical to me as it died without warning but I don't know. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
So .... it is getting FUEL and it is getting SPARK.

The other 2 elements required are COMPRESSION and TIMING.

Obviously, you had compression just before it died, so scratch that one.

You need to see if distributor is turning.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You may be getting fuel to the filter, but may not be getting fuel past the injectors and can't electrically send a signal to trigger them .. So I'm just guessing here with out proper testing, but possibly a blown fuse or the ECM itself.. check the fuse 1st.. :winker:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the number 2 plug to check for spark and it is sparking so the distributer must be turning or am I wrong?
Blown fuse? Where is it located? I checked all in the cabin and resets I could find on the motor. How can "I" check the injectors?
I moved the main harness around but did not disconnect and re-seal which I will do later today.
Water fuel separator changed.
Thanks so far.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Never would have known to look there. Found the three mini fuses and one is blown/broken. Looks more like it broke in a straight line at one of the curves, could not see it was broken until I put the meter on it. I hope this is the problem. As it always is I don't have the correct fuse to try a new one. I will get some tomorrow. Thank you Fyhr Factor. I will update tomorrow. JIM

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
That's OK, no problem, I hope that's all it was. :bigsmile:
If it still doesn't work, check the relay too.

but I always have to ask myself , What caused the fuse to blow,as to why did it surge or overload?? but sometimes you'll never know why.. it just did...

I

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.