Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,I have a BB 502hp and I have not run a t-stat for the last 2 seasons. My temp guage never really moved,as I would suspect with no t-stat in the motor. Starting on July 4th,my temp now reads between 130 and 140 degrees. Now guy's, I know thats not too hot,but what I don't understand is without a stat why is my guage reading at all. In my mind that makes me think there is excessive heat,or water issue problem,and if I were running a stat I most likely would be running too hot............Any ideas

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's a thought,but I would not think the guage would always start at 100 and end up at 130...Kinda shows me it is working ?????
But who knows,thats why I'm asking:confused:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Check your impeller. I'm assuming that you winterize your engine with the newer non-toxic antifreeze, and some of those antifreezes have a tendency to wear out the impellers prematurely. Usually takes around 3 to 5 years before this shows up.

Might also check your water intake and hoses, plus the exhaust manifolds for any sort of blockage, if you haven't already.

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's for all the imput guys. But for the record,a new seawater pump was put on last October,and the manifolds are new.....But that doesn't mean something could not go wrong in that area.. Thank's guys

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
When you picked up that wood in the river some could have been sucked up. I lost an impeller to seaweed at Hammond a few years ago. When I backed flushed the system I got broken impeller blades and a clump of green seaweed. :mad: You could have an obstruction in the system somewhere that is not allowing the water to exit the boat properly.

Dan

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
how did you backflush it?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I take the outlet hose off of the seawater pump and lay it in the bilge. Then I take the hose off of the thermostat housing that comes from the coolers. Put the garden hose into that hose and crank up the pressure. Most of the debris gets caught in the coolers. BN should check the thermostat check balls going to the exhaust. They could be corroded shut not allowing excess pressure to bleed off.
Dan

Let me know if you want to run down to Pastrick tomorrow night.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
good idea,,, I wanted to flush mine anyway just for yucks and see what happens,,,, I know his balls are ok, we checked them ( man that didnt sound right !! ) we are going to put a thermostat in today .

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by obnoxus [/] I know his balls are ok. [/B]

:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:
I'm not going there!
You guys want to run out to the marina tonight to see what boats showed up for the run. I hope to leave Alsip about 7:30 Saturday morning. I have an empty boat if you want to run with me.
Dan

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Hmmm,,, tonight sounds good, let me know when/where,,,, tomorrow,,, undecided,,,,, I'll let ya know later !!!

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
What is a good reason for not running a thermostat?

Why not run 180 degrees where your engine is fine, most efficient and produces the most HP?

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
.....and burns the condensation out of the oil !!!!!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts