Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I beached the formula 233 ls this weekend on the beach had people on the swim deck, yadda yadda,

Water was coming thru the exhuast seals around the thru hull exhaust, I had no clue, by the time we were ready to leave the water was up to the damn carb.!!!!

Bilged it out and got towed in, but now what? There is water in the oil, what do i need to check? Starter going to be dead?

Man this sucks. Any help or advice, I have not started it or ran it since this happend. HELP!!!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
when we get water in our jeeps we pop out the plugs, crank it over to shoot the water out, change the oil and call it good. If anything gets ruined we replace it.

On your boat I would also be concerned about water in the fuel tank.

Otherwise you wont know till you try to start it. But definitiely get fresh oil in there (may want to change it, turn it over with plugs out, then change it again).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I have been trying to get some help around here but havent had luck. I will try Ted and see what he says.

Gotta change the oil and get some new in it. Maybe some fuel additive for any water in the system. Then try to start it up and see what fail or works?????

Any one else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:
when we get water in our jeeps we pop out the plugs, crank it over to shoot the water out, change the oil and call it good. If anything gets ruined we replace it.

On your boat I would also be concerned about water in the fuel tank.

Otherwise you wont know till you try to start it. But definitiely get fresh oil in there (may want to change it, turn it over with plugs out, then change it again).
Perfect advice - get that water out ASAP!!!

I'd be changing the oil quite a bit for the next while too. But get it running as soon as possible to burn off any water in the cylinders.

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
Yep.......Pull your tips and silicone behind the flange and screw holes. It will keep water from coming in and rotting out your transom and screw holes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Boy that sucks! I sure am sorry to hear that.Drain the oil asap and put some real cheap oil and filter on it.Go to the autoparts store and get a can of Motorflush and add that to the oil.Run it for 5 minutes or so and repeat the process several times until the oil is clear.Only use the motorflush once.

Oh,prior to changing the oil,pull all the plugs and crank the engine over a few time to spew the water out of the cyclinders.Spray the cylinders with WD40,change oil and run it.You should be OK if you act quickly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awsome, thanks guys, what do you guys think about the starter and alternator??? Wirering? Just run it and see if they give me trouble, should I worry about shorting out anything?

You guys are saving me some serious cash here, thanks.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
make sure the first thing you do is pull the plugs and crank all the water out. if you try to start is with water in the cylinders very bad things will happen. (been there, done that).

·
Registered
26 Posts
You do realise that you have a valid/covered insurance claim,right?

And that's correct.what ever you do,do not crank that motor over until all the plugs are pulled first!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Doc14 said:
Awsome, thanks guys, what do you guys think about the starter and alternator??? Wirering? Just run it and see if they give me trouble, should I worry about shorting out anything?

You guys are saving me some serious cash here, thanks.
You may or may not have cooked them. You wont know until you start the boat up.

Another little trick we use with the jeeps is to put a good dose of wd 40 over the electricals every now and again, espescially when we know there is deep water, its not a cure all, but it helps.

Again, get the plugs out, change the oil and crank the water out, then change the oil until it comes out clean. Then I would change it after your next trip out and evaluate from there.

You will not know what damage you ahve done until you go out there, but the longer you let it sit the more damage you may do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Should also put some grease into the coupler to try to get it as much water free as possible, before you put the drive back on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I sank a boat in the Florida Keys and saved it. The boat ran for years afterwards ( probably still is). First things first.... Drain the oil immediately. If the boat was in saltwater and the internals of the engine were filled with saltwater, Then I would stick a hose in the PCV hole in the valve covers and flush that saltwater out. Then fill it with new oil and replace the filters. Spray up the carb with some CRC so that everything in and on it is well lubricated. Pull the plugs and crank it until all water is out. Spray some lubricant or oil in each cylinder. Install new plugs. Check your fuel. If its contaminated, get the water out. Fire up the motor and let it run. This is what they call pickling the motor. While its running, rinse everything down with fresh water.

The problem with saltwater is it becomes corrosive when it becomes exposed to air. Fresh water will just eventually dry. Wiring, shift cables, bearings, and everything else will definitely get destroyed if they aren't flushed thoroughly.

If the engine sounds good after that, change the oil again and keep running that motor. Keep rinsing and lubricating everything until you are certain that everything, especially the wiring, is saltwater free. Time is extremely important. If water is sitting in that motor too long, kiss it goodbye, Good luck. I feel your pain as I've been there. It sucks.

·
Dirty
651 Posts
GIBBY D DOCK IS ON SATERDAY

HEY I HOPE YOU FOUND A SPOT TO PUT YOUR BOAT.

I GOT ALLL JAMBED UP WITH SOME DRAMA SORRY DID NOT CALL BACK.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
All of the above .

Plus - you need to seal those exhaust tips !

3M makes a product called 5200. It is great for sealing exhaust tips.

You should have an automatic bilge pump. We wouldn`t be discussing this if you had one. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts