Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Powerboat tested 5 "entry-level" boats in the new issue including the Sunsation 288 and Checkmate Pulsare 2400.

As much as I love seeing the half million dollar boats it was nice some boats under $100k being tested.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I'll have to check it out!
NEW HOT BOAT SUCKS again
Worse every issue
This month even smaller with less
A dozen BIG $$$$ cat cdeck boats (as usual)
I am done there, going to start Powerboat soon!!

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
MAN HotBoat pi$$es me off. 2 editorials this month. Each speak of the passing death of Rickey DeMontrond. One states he died of massive heart attack, 2 pages earlier it was cancer. PISS POOR editting yes! Disrespectful EVEN MORE SO!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
DonMan said:
These are "entry-level" ? I can`t even afford the 250 E-Tec hanging off the back of the Checkmate . . . :unhappy1:
I'm with you. $100k is entry? :confused1 that's like saying a Dodge Viper is an "entry" level sports car. .... boating has slowly returned to a hobby reserved for the wealthy. :dead1:

·
Registered
589 Posts
RSCHAP1 said:
MAN HotBoat pi$$es me off. 2 editorials this month. Each speak of the passing death of Rickey DeMontrond. One states he died of massive heart attack, 2 pages earlier it was cancer. PISS POOR editting yes! Disrespectful EVEN MORE SO!!!!!!!!!
I'm afraid I have to agree. Hopefully it will improve but so far it's been downhill. Remember that the prices of those "entry level" boats are list and are negotiable. I'd sure like to see a Donzi Classic once in a while though. The Sunny and DCM are sweet but I hate bowriders and the Domn8er has a pooper scooper on the front :eek: .

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not Right said:
not a fan of the black/green combo, I also cant see spending 100K and getting a one year warranty with the Raylar.
Isn't the standard warranty on a Merc 525 one years as well?

I agree on the prices for an "entry-level" boats but unfortunately it is what it is. This is why I can't buy new!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
blkkat said:
I'm with you. $100k is entry? :confused1 that's like saying a Dodge Viper is an "entry" level sports car. .... boating has slowly returned to a hobby reserved for the wealthy. :dead1:
Entry level sports cars just like entry level boats, think about it, new "sports car" is 35k Viper is a mid level car at 100k, and your porche and ferraris are 100k-500k.

The 24 check with a 250 outboard comes in around 55-65k.

Get a 24 Superboat with an outboard in that same 60-75k range, or a progression 24 for 70-90k....

I don't see the 28 sunny as an entry level boat at all way too much cheese @ 100k+ I'd put this more in line with a mid level sports car.

Then go to an F4 sunsation or an outlimits or a Cig and your talking 500K+

Seems Entry level to me by comparison.

Gone are the entry level boats, 15-16ft hydrostreams, checkmates, baja's with 150 hp outboards running 60-70 mph.

Donman you state you can't afford the E-tec? I don't know pricing on the E-rudes, but a Merc 225 proxs is somewhere around 12k, the 300xs can be had for around 16,500.

Those are pretty hot motors for not unreasonable amounts of money IMO.

Sad part is that there just really isn't affordable fast boats unless you stick with the used market, but I think my example proves that in general the same can be said for a sports car as well.....

Gotta remember what good resin, good glass, and good core material is costing these days, they can't build 'em much cheaper and still stay in business.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Not Right said:
not a fan of the black/green combo, I also cant see spending 100K and getting a one year warranty with the Raylar.
In comparison i always thought that any motor built by merc, that was designated merc racing only came with a 1 year warranty?

I am pretty sure that was always the case with the outboards, some of which don't even get warranty's.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Problem is especially on lakes is the rapid increase in bigger and
bigger boats, from cruisers,go-fasts and even wakeboard boats.

On any given weekend they make the water rough enough to
eliminate the chance of going out on anything small and fast.
here on Travis 50-70ft cruisers ,100ft+ houseboats are not uncommon at all not to mention the hundreds of
wakeboard boats making the lake a 3-5ft washing machine
every weekend.

Kind of kills the market for a new light/fast 20-22ft boat that might actually be called entry level.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
I'm sorry, but a Sunny 288 is not a entry level boat !

I don't care what you have for money.

Maybe bought as a 1st boat, but that doesn't mean entry level.

Schit. Are some people blind.

Stupid Fk's.

Yeh, I'm a little pirturbed. :laugher: :laugher:

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like UP_ROKTOY stated it's relative. Considering the price and size of a Sunsation F4 and the fact that the 288 is Sunny's smallest boat it is THEIR entry level performance boat.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Well, damn, if you use the wording different than they are right :laugher: :laugher:

What does an entry level Outerlimits cost ? :laugher:

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the record I agree with you cfm, a $100k boat that runs 77mph is a hell of an "entry-level" boat!

But, this gives Sunsation a chance to show off their "entry-level" boat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
Kind of kills the market for a new light/fast 20-22ft boat that might actually be called entry level.
I might move to Austin. Thinking of a 21' Intimidator or Tuff SOB, 22' Donzi Classic, or the Trick 21' cat. All too small for Lake Travis?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
taba said:
I might move to Austin. Thinking of a 21' Intimidator or Tuff SOB, 22' Donzi Classic, or the Trick 21' cat. All too small for Lake Travis?
If your going to go with an SOB look at TUFF, Activator, PRogression.

I don't know about lake travis, but I boat on lake st. clair which is a good sized lake filled with MEga Yachts and Shipping Freighters.

I run a 24 progression and its enough boat most of the time. 2-3 days a year i really get my *** handed to me, but the rest of the time I am fine.

I often consider swapping down to a 21 skater or 24 skater rigged with a single 300x but haven't sold my boat yet.

I think the 24 I have will handle the rough about the same as a 21 skater.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts