Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always see signs at the boat ramp stating that you cannot exceed a certain decibal level at a certain distance...blah blah blah...
I have never heard of anyone being cited for this.
Has anyone ever exceeded the limit?
How loud is it, really?

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Here in Chicago they have been known to site for decibles. I drove a guy's boat from one marina to another because he had been sited prior, and was afraid they would throw him in the shi*ter,since he was driving on a citation.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
My Dad had a 426 hemi in a flat bottom, sheriff nailed him with decimeter, it was last weekend of summer so he said take it easy and enjoy the rest of the day, but fix it before you come back. I think it was 92 decibels at a cruise and the legal limit was 90. Someone complained.....

·
Registered
375 Posts
Donman
it depends upon where you live. call your local DNR they should be able to give you the limits. Dont quote me but I think in one of the recent issues of power boat they had all 50 states and there decible levels. look in powerboatmag.com and see if you can find some thing. I will look also

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Early last season I got a ticket from coast gaurd for 92db and the limit was 82db at Alaxandria bay. They inforced it all summer with exception to poker run boats only.:gunner:

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I was living in NY we had a problem with one of the local Jacka$$ cops who would try to give us crap. I'd bring the boat in, put it up on the hydrahoist, wash it off, and rinse the motors. He started setting up the meter as he got it ready I shut off the motor, switched to the other engine, he started to leave so I started it up, by the time he came back I was done. He did finally get us later on that season, but I did get him back, got him busted down to a meter maid after some other crap he pulled. I guess it was worth the ticket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts