Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just heard of a newly enforced law in Virginia, that says out of the water exhuast is illegal, along with switchable exhaust or custom exhausts. No reference to dB levels.

Not Good... just another law to protect the few and punish the many... :dead:

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Incidentally a few weeks ago I got my 1st ticket for my car exhaust. Have had lots of warnings for this over the years with different cars. And this car is actually pretty quite, and has the silencer in place, only taken off for off highway use. Again there is no reference to dB levels in the law, only that "All altered exhaust is illegal"

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Rock Steady said:
I have just heard of a newly enforced law in Virginia, that says out of the water exhuast is illegal, along with switchable exhaust or custom exhausts. No reference to dB levels.

Not Good... just another law to protect the few and punish the many... :dead:
Nice cash grab. Wonder if the silent thunder on the Formula's will qualify? They are half out of the water.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Here is what they are doing here in Ontario:

Cracking down on boat noise
DOUGLAS HUNTER

Special to The Globe and Mail

August 18, 2003

MIDLAND -- The still of a quiet weeknight is unbroken by a dinghy race at Midland Bay Sailing Club on southeastern Georgian Bay. Then the thunderous roar of twin engines erupts and a canary-yellow speedboat leaves the public dock on its first window-rattling run of the night.

Welcome to one of cottage country's most vexing problems: boat noise.

Those offshore-style powerboats -- with two or even three outboards or inboard-outboard engines snarling in the stern -- provide the clearest example. Until this boating season, measures to curtail their operation have been hit and miss. But there has been significant progress in cracking down on machines with ear-splitting exhaust systems, to the relief of waterfront property owners and other boaters.

Their hope rests on a recent amendment to section 37 of the Canada Shipping Act's Small Vessel Regulations. If the canary-yellow boat reappears in all its thunderous glory and the police happen to catch it, either at the dock or under way, its operator risks a summary conviction with a fine of $250, although the Shipping Act permits fines as high as $2,000.

When it comes to sound on the water, the public has not been well served by the law. Many municipal noise bylaws make no specific reference to boats, and those that do are difficult to enforce unless decibel-meter readings are available.

The new small-vessel regulations, however, attack the problem differently. Rather than worrying about decibels, they aim at hardware, specifically exhaust systems.

Indeed, the Shipping Act was amended in 1999 so that its Small Vessel Regulations required powerboats operating within five miles of shore to have a "noise abatement mechanism." But this wording didn't get the job done, as there are many components in a propulsion system that could be said to abate noise, however ineffectually.

So with pressure from waterfront property owners, the government revisited the regulations and, in consultation with the Canadian Marine Manufacturers Association, came up with new verbiage.

The regulations now require these boats to have a muffler and, by that, the act means "an expansion chamber, within the exhaust line of the propulsion engine of a vessel, specifically designed to reduce engine noise but does not include a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, glass-pack muffler, by-pass or similar device."

Is this new section going to make all noisy boats go away? Not entirely. For one thing, these speedboats can still be equipped with a "silent mode switch," by which the operator can switch the exhaust system on or off, albeit only five miles from land at the least.

And this section isn't concerned with the vast majority of powerboats out there, because the muffler requirement doesn't apply to the standard arrangement on outboard and inboard engines, in which exhaust gases are permitted to be routed either through the propeller hub or below the cavitation plate, which is just above the propeller.

As well, there are further exemptions for boats in competition, antique boats (built before 1960) and the specialized craft driven by aircraft propellers. Only a very specialized minority of powerboats today have a direct-to-air exhaust system that would run afoul of the new law. But the measure does address boats such as the canary-yellow monster.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Until the people revolt the goverment will keep levying stifling taxes and stupid laws designed to tax and fine the working class to death, the very reason pilgrims left europe,revolted and founded this country. Unfortunatly the average American is so uneducated to what is happening around him and so unwilling to put any effort into revolt that it will take a LOT before this ever happens.

·
Registered
427 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
Until the people revolt the goverment will keep levying stifling taxes and stupid laws designed to tax and fine the working class to death, the very reason pilgrims left europe,revolted and founded this country. Unfortunatly the average American is so uneducated to what is happening around him and so unwilling to put any effort into revolt that it will take a LOT before this ever happens.
That about sums it up right there.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I am VERY frustrated with this sort of thing, I get harrassed all the time with illegal equipment charges... and I really don't think I am hurting anyone or anything by having a fun toy... so I for one and ready to jump ontop of something given the chance to kill some of these laws. But I for sure feel like it will be an impossible hill to climb...

·
Registered
794 Posts
How are they going to know whether you have baffles inside the exhaust or not? If they aren't using db's as the measurement, they would have to be somewhat technical with all the different systems wouldn't they?

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
The uneducated in a subject matter are the one's that make the rules.

If me have mufflered tailpipes, pass our super low Db law running thru transom, and yet still have have switchable exhaust, we get heavy fines.

Ha, ha ! :dead:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
the fun with performance boats with huge power and music is going to be eliminated because of pressure by shoreline homeowners.
We had complaints from idiots who bought condos and houses on Terra Nova [ right across the river from the airport] about aircraft noise here in Richmond :rolleyes: :laugher: .There only one good thing about government that you can't f*ck around with them :laugher:
Boats like this OL from our group of poker runners will be in trouble with even db tests , because you can hear this sucker from miles :winker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0ImeDz40c

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RSCHAP1 said:
Michigan has "spots" that enforce similar

BTW...you could probably get 4-5 extra mpg w/o that wing :)
Thats STOCK bro... thats what makes the EVO what it is... And doing the twistee's at 80mph plus, that wing is functional... and all Carbon Fiber.. I love that car... But the cops don't.... :rambo:

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not Right said:
I think it's a tough law to enforce if it's written that way,
Actually its not, they just right you a ticket if they feel like it, then you have to go to court to fight about it, and thats like swimming up river... :eek:gre:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts