Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an extended warranty on my Sunsation engines and outdrive when I bought the boat. It's turned out to be a phychological plus for the two guys that have looked at the boat - although one got cold feet and the other didn't have the money.

In any event, has anyone ever attempted to collect on an extended warranty?

I ask because I spoke to a sales guy at Offshore Performance in Grasonville, MD and he told me he would not write an extended warranty (on a boat with HP 500 EFI's) because in his words "They're not worth the paper they're printed on"....

any opinions ???

- jeff

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
that was my opinion also,,, in a performance application my belief was they would find a reason to disallow my claim, and if it was a legitimate defect Mercruiser is very good in covering " good faith " warranties well out of the 1 year period....If I spent money on a warranty, the had it not covered and had to pay to repair anyway,,, I would be one unhappy puppy !!!!!

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Don't know how true this was,but I was talking to a guy in Florida last year with a brand new Sonic...got 502's in the boat because he claimed the Warranty on the Hp500's was only 6 months,and he could not get an extended plan.

Having to deal with numerous extended service plans in the auto business,sometimes all it takes is one problem and the plan is paid for,other times you don't get your money's worth.

Jeff,if a buyer does not care about the extended plan,you should see about some sort of pro-rata refund.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I had a extended warrenty on my first New Baja. Good thing too. Had a problem with the ignition about 2 years old and they covered it no problem. Good thing too, cause it was in for the same problem about 5 times until they finally had someone who knew what he was doing work on the boat. Fixed while I was standing there watching.

·
Registered
953 Posts
i had a knock that they could not find the month that my 5 year ex. warr. ran out on my 454mag merc. sent me a new long block and paid to put it in took 3 months but it was free.
they were great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts