Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working...or trying to work on setting up a shipping account for our company. I was going to go with UPS but after Talking to Donman, decided to see what FedEx could offer. The salesperson for UPS was supposed to come and go over everything with me but she was a no-show for 3 appointments before finally showing up. Then I called FedEx and spoke with a sales Rep who said he would get back to me wit some numbers for international where I need better pricing. That was two weeks ago. I have called back and cant get a return. We spend $300 and up on shipping a week and I cant get any cooperation.
So whats your experience? Are they both just as F'd up as the post office?

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Chris,
I didn`t speak to any reps, I just set up both UPS and FedEx accounts online. It`s a quick and painless process. Once both accounts are active, do a fast-quote --- just make up an address and compare rates.
Like I told you, FedEx has always been less expensive for me and the larger / heavier the package, the bigger the difference. That`s been my experience anyway.
UPS sends a statement each month, showing all charges and FedEx does not (at least not for me). So you have to keep track of each FedEx receipt for tax purposes.
Hey, give me a call anytime if you have any questions. :)

If there were only a shipping company like FedEx that would transport cars . . . :cool:

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
USPS Priority for smaller boxes is much cheaper and much faster. They also have three flat rate boxes - 2 for $9.80 and one larger for $12.80 with no weight restrictions.

If you go to USPS online they have free software to download. Using this will also provide you with tracking to your customers e-mail...you also of course.

I'm stuck mostly with UPS here (Fed Ex and DHL aren't infiltrated enough here) and too put it bluntly, the UPS managers here blow donkey dink and will not work with you at all.

I'm sending USPS Priority as much as I can now. From a few hundred $$$'s each of last few years to about $4k so far this year. Rason - I discovered the Flat Rate Boxes last year.Yeh, unfortunately about 8-$9K with UPS. :dead:

Yes, the regular priority boxes and flat rate priority boxes are free. Go to your local USPS office and go grab them !

Did I mention UPS blows ? :dead:

- CFM

============================

Disclaimer: All remarks I am making about all shipping companies is based off my experience in my area only. Others may have different experiences. Having different facilities, reps, managaers, and drivers can drastically effect each companies experiences.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
One Example: Some steel fuel fittings I designed and sell are being made on the West cost for me. It would cost me around $30 for ground (5 days shipping to me) and $50 for 3 day.

BTW: I get a shipment of them approx every 2-3 weeks !

They are small enough that they (one production run of them) fit in one of the $9.80 Flat Rate boxes from USPS. I get them in 2 days and I get a tracking notice to my e-mail when my manufacturer ships them.

2nd: Another part that I designed and sell, and have made in the North Central US would cost me $30 for 3 day and now I get the USPS Priority Flat Rate Box for $9.80 and in 2 days...with tracking too. :D

3rd: Another part I re-sell and stock, would cost me $25 for two (yes TWO !) parts UPS ground and arrive here 4 days from manufacturer. Well, 3 of them fit in a large Flat Rate Box and now only cost me $12.90 and I get them in 2 Days !

Woo-hoo !

You think it's working better for me ???? !!!!!!!

I have a bunch more examples, not just with getting parts in, but sending parts out to individual customers too. The above examples are enough to help sway you to atleast thoroughly investigate some uses of the Post Office.

====================================
Disclaimer: All remarks I am making about all shipping companies is based off my experience in my area only. Others may have different experiences. Having different facilities, reps, managaers, and drivers can drastically effect each companies experiences.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Okay, another tidbit about UPS (I have a ton of these BTW..tidbits that is):

They are charging a 32% fuel surcharge on all air (ie:3,2, and next day air) as of July 6th.

All of this does not show when using there software and getting quotes. It will show up on your bill though.

It's past the point of being able to guess. I can't tall you how many customer shipments I lose from $2-$5 on because of extra charges on the bill vs what is showed on the quote you get when you fill out the shipment.

I have 100's more 'bad issues' with UPS and unfortunately most aren't money related. :angry1:

==================================

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
DonMan said:
Chris,
I didn`t speak to any reps, I just set up both UPS and FedEx accounts online. It`s a quick and painless process.
If you ship $200-$300 a week chances are you will save mucho money with getting an account with pick-up. That extra $10-$20 per week for 'pick up' will be made up for with just a few packages for you get cheaper package rates.

If you don't have packages to give them everyday, don't sweat it.

It's not like they care about you anyway - so why should you worry about inconveniencing them.

=================================

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
My company spent $150K with Fedex last year.......that doesn't include what we spent on LTL carriers on large freight shipments. Fedex has been more responsive to claims and has, in our experience, provided more reliable service at rates that are usually (not always) lower. Considering the workstation they set up in our own plant and the discounts we get, I don't expect to switch anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We sell horse saddles so our boxes are fairly big and heavy (16-32 pounds). We usually do at least $300 per week but sometimes much more. I had a $300 yesterday for 5 saddles shipped out and two more going today. Even with the fuel surcharge, both UPS and FedEx are about 40% cheaper than USPS from the quotes I have recieved. Both carriers told me they cant compete with USPS on small packages, letters, and overseas shipments. The sales reps told me they could get me a better rate then if I set up an account myself. If they can get me close on international, I would use them becasue that money goes toward my discounts based on the previous weeks shipping.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
DonMan said:
:laugher: :laugher:

Scott -- That`s funny, but TRUE . . . :(
If you only knew !!!!

I've deen dealing with a 6+yr freakin UPS saga !

I've been thru countless local and regional managers and reps and they all say the same thing " OMG. That's happening ? I'll get it straightened out." Then of course everytime I call after that statement because nothing happens I get the famous "I'm working on it."

If I got $10 for everytime I hear "I'm working on it" I'd be a billionaire. :angry1:

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
UPS blows.
Still have not settled a 2yr claim. They busted a pulley on my raw water pump assembly. :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

I avoid UPS if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I use FedEx on my larger items and USPS on smaller items. I avoid UPS if at all possible.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
t500hps said:
My company spent $150K with Fedex last year.......that doesn't include what we spent on LTL carriers on large freight shipments. Fedex has been more responsive to claims and has, in our experience, provided more reliable service at rates that are usually (not always) lower. Considering the workstation they set up in our own plant and the discounts we get, I don't expect to switch anytime soon.
The two (yeh, just two) big shippers around here also use FedEx like you. They have workstations also and a FedEx trailer always there to load. FedEx truck rolls in with empty trailer, drops it at dock, and picks up/drives away with loaded trailer from other dock.

Yeh, yeh I know...UPS does this for many big companies too. I just don't see it in my local area. Again, both use FedEx, so that means something to me.

I'm much smaller than you and these two companies, however, I'm probably in the top 10 for my neck of the woods. No respect. No anything. I do not expect special treatment as I don't ship enough for that, but I do expect to be treated with some respect and get the service I am paying for. I feel at times I'm paying to fill an empty tank but only getting 1/4-1/2. :unhappy1:

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
cfm said:

yea yea yea.....ok.......................... :bigsmile:

UPS still suggs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts