Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 4th has come and gone and I still haven't been out (on my boat). We thought the motor would be back together and down at the marina last Monday so everything should have been a lock for Thursday 7/3. I was really looking forward to being on the water over the holiday weekend (even took an extra day). As with all perfect plans it didn't work out. Luckily I have generous friends that don't mind swinging by to picking me up or I would have been on the dock watching the fun go by.....

Anyway..... got a call about 20 minutes ago. The engine is FINALLY done and will be back heading to the lake for installation and tuning. Everything is going to be done for this weekend. Great news right? Wrong - I WON'T BE THERE. That seems to be my luck. I hope to go get it picked up the weekend of the 26th, but this truly is torture. Any other time I would have only had a few days to get through before the weekend but it just happened to land at a time where I have to wait 19 long days..... Been the 12 of the last 13 weekends but now have to skip 2 straight and the boat is finally ready???? Seriously?

Sorry for the rant - Just had to complain a bit. If I ever get the thing back to the dock I'll clean it up and post some pictures so I can officially become a member of SOC. Pics of dirty, 1/2 powered boats don't make anyone happy so I'll hold off for now. Hope your boating season is running a bit smoother than mine!

·
Registered
302 Posts
MOSCARAB,

Don't feel bad buddy. I bought my Scarab in Aug. 07 and she still isn't in the water. Major engine "issues" :( I hope to be in the water just about the time the season ends :unhappy1: Take your time and make everything perfect for you, make her your own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go 4 BROKE said:
MOSCARAB,

Don't feel bad buddy. I bought my Scarab in Aug. 07 and she still isn't in the water. Major engine "issues" :( I hope to be in the water just about the time the season ends :unhappy1: Take your time and make everything perfect for you, make her your own.
What happened???
Did you blow the engine???

·
Registered
302 Posts
No I haven't had that pleasure yet. When I bought my Scarab in Aug. 07 I asked the seller if he wanted to take her out for a sea trial? He said "I'd rather not". To most people that would have sent up red flags, bells and whistles. Not me being stubborn as I am I accepted his excuse about the launch ramp is 40 min. away and he didn't have the time. I had the boat surveyed and asked the surveyor to do a compression and leakdown tests. He said "I can do that". So after a day of waiting I finally get the call from the surveyor. He found little things to be wrong i.e. burned out lights, missing this or that...you know the typical little annoyances. He couldn't do the compression or leakdown tests becouse there wasn't any room. So, I accepted his survey did the paperwork and down the road I went. Due to travel for work I couldn't get her in the water until mid Sept. Come to find out each engine had a cracked head, and to top it all off both oil pans started leaking. So I have the boat hauled out and a mechanic to pull the engines. Had a great idea of trying to save some money and turn it over to the ins. co. They send out their own surveyor and well come to find out they won't cover it "pre-exsisting damage". And thats just the tip of the iceburg. The ins. surveyor concludes that from the signs he sees in the bilge that the engines were submerged! Yup! I got me a sinker! At least the ins. co. paid for the pulling of both engines which was about $400.00 a piece. Fast forward a couple of months engines have been sitting idle due to no money on my part. I find another mechanic to install the engines because the first mechanic wasn't able for some reason to install them. Anyway while talking to the second mechanic he tells me he has two sbc bored out .30 over to a 355 and they're ready to go except carbs., exhaust tubes and water pumps plus some little things. 4K for both, so I buy them and get my old engines back. pay for the needed parts and some general upgrades. So now I'm waiting for the phone call that will tell me a price for the install of the newer engines. Yes, I contacted an attorney about the situation and he said that I might be able to recover the survey fee. Because the boat was bought used from a person and not a dealer it was basically "buyer beware". Sorry about the long post, but you asked :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ouch!!!!....
If it's any consolation, I foolishly attempted to remove the fornt window on my 29 to replace the weather striping that was comming out form underneath the window. Unfortunately, most of the stainless steel screws that held the window down broke.......Now after a trip to the fiberglass dude and a thousand dollars later, it's still not right!

·
Speak English Or Die!
1,622 Posts
Add me to the haven't been out yet group. Officially bought my Scarab III in Novmeber 2007 from a member on here (good guy).

To buy it so we wouldn't owe a balance long I agreed to work night shifts at my job. Boss man says "No problem, you can work it until May and then switch back to day shift." May comes and then June, no one is available to let me work day shift again. :angry1: I can't even see the boat much because it's at the marina and they don't like you going to the storage area at night (which I understand). So, I've visited the boat like maybe 10 times. I call it conjugal visits. :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts