Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to a different filter other than merc on my HP500EFI. What is the filter and # that some of you guys are using. Or should I stick with merc?:confused:

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
I use a Penske PN30. You can get it a K-mart or auto parts store. For me, it's cool,because it's yellow with black writing,so it matches my boat.
You can also use the AC delco......I THINK its a AC 25,but don't remember.If you have a Wallmart...K.Mart,they have the chart in the auto section. If not your local parts store will know the # for sure.

Jeff,hope that helps

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
AC is a PF-25, it is a little longer than the Merc. one but it works fine. I use em on mine......

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Enigma, do you use the Fram for a reason. Does it have a smaller micron rating? The price of the mercs are cheap, so its not a price issue. Just want to run the best.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I use the Fram on my 496/HO. As a matter of fact will be chaning oil and putting on new filter tomorrow. I change the oil when it starts to get dark regardless of hours. The particular oil in the engine was put in when I winterized in November and now has about 12 hours on it. I use mercruiser quicksilver oil.

- jeff

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
We have cut them apart and personally, they look to different from a merc filter foe me to use one. I am sure any filter would be fine, but I will stick with what the factory makes. I just dont believe car filters are designed for the flow of constant 4,000 plus Rpm,,, just my opinion. Cut a merc and a aftermarket filter apart,, you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
CANADA JEFF...the guy that built my motors has used them for years on BIG horsepower & stock motors with no problems and recomends thems.Hp 4 is 1qt racing filter w/no drainback,Teague Marine also recommends them and pushes them when building motors. They also recommend the HP6 which is MUCH larger in diameter(you'll need an adapter plate) that holds 2 qts. of oil;) p.s. my filters are on the back of the motors in a horizontal position unlike some stock filters which are vertical...so I like the fact that no oil drains out of the filter!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I just dont believe car filters are designed for the flow of constant 4,000 plus Rpm,,, just my opinion.
this is something my 288 has NEVER seen....

it's a 3,400 to 3800 rpm engine... (at least in my hands).

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Oh GOD,,, Boatnut is wearing off on you to !!!!!!!!!! And I just put my waders away !!!!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
:) :) :) :) :).

the cool part about the 496 and it's on board computer is that I can prove how the engine has been run since all of it's data is saved in the computer (including rpm and time @ rpm)

:)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Jeff are you saying that your only running 50 to 55MPH ! Why didn't you buy a small block? 3400 to 3800 I'm surprised it doesn't carbon up on you. :laugher: Comon, you go wild some times and run it up to 4000 don't you:laugher:

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I normally run between 45 and 50 mph. I take it easy on the engine, even though I bought an extended warranty (5 year) with the boat. I DON'T LIKE missing boating weekends and beating the crap out of engine causes that to happen.

:)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Common Jeff these engines are made for this. But to each is own. I wish there were more boaters out there like you , I'd be alot faster:laugher:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
if thats the case,,,skip the 32 sunsation and go straight into a cruiser !!!!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Have I ever told you guys how much I dislike West Marine. Their local store is basically useless. Karen was kind enough to stop by there this afternoon for me to pick up oil and a filter and they're out of filters for 496 engines. I have not had good experiences at their store in North East MD. They shelves are often bare. It's looks like I'll be driving an hour each way tomorrow to go to the Boat US store where the shelves are always full.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Canada Jeff said:
Common Jeff these engines are made for this. But to each is own. I wish there were more boaters out there like you , I'd be alot faster:laugher:
why? - I'm the kind of guy that make you look faster.....although with your engines - you really don't need it..... :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts