Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was pretty much official but looks like it's set in stone now.
Note: I feel a last barage of e-mails , letters to Gov 'Softy' Lynch is still worth it.
Click Here For Article
Governor to sign boat-speed bill
By TOM FAHEY
State House Bureau Chief
Wednesday, Jun. 25, 2008

CONCORD – Gov. John Lynch said today he will sign a bill that sets up speed limits for two years on Lake Winnipesaukee, beginning next year.

“The lake is a place where everybody who uses the lake should be able to enjoy it. I think speed is an issue on the lake and I think going forward with a pilot program makes sense,” Lynch said.

The speed limits under the two-year pilot program will be 45 mph in the daytime and 25 mph at night. The law will expire on Dec. 31, 2010 unless the Legislature acts to extend it.

A project in which the Department of Safety’s Marine Patrol checked speeds on a small area of the lake last year found that speeding in late summer was not a major issue. Speed limit backers said the data was flawed, collected over too short a period of time.

Lynch said he has had preliminary discussions with the department about the kinds of preparation and equipment they will need to begin enforcement.

HB 847, which establishes the limits, passed the House 236-111 and the Senate 14-10.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Gee let's see what would I rather see coming at me?

#1) An experienced operator in a 27' Sport boat doing 55 m.p.h. driving with caution and following all maritime laws as far as right of way, etc.

#2) An idiot kid in his parents 18' bowrider looking backwards at his girlfriend with big tits doing zig zags while driving trying to impress her at 44 m.p.h.

What a joke. I feel our lake is next. It already is up North. It seems the smaller inland lakes like ours are targets as most of the clueless residents think that speed in any body of water other than the ocean is a problem, and the cause of all accidents.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mostly a special interest group that views living on the lake a certain way.

All of us have spent considerable money and time to have a place here to enjoy the lake as 'we see it.'

Many people, on all sides, don't understand and can't fathom why someone would enjoy it in a different way than themselves and thus consider other ways 'the wrong way !.'

Special interest groups getting 'power' is not always good. Sometimes it is.

Even though there are young people in favor of the limits, and some older against it, those for the speedlimits are overpoweringly older people.

We all have to remember our population is mostly older and headed more so that way. Rules, laws, and etc are therefore going to favor them, again, since they are the big % in our population.

You'll see more of this sort of stuff across the country.

Pretty much every 'large' accident is alcohol related and therefore even if 'speed' was involved, a law against speed will have no effect on someone that's very impaired.

Boat traffic is a very huge problem - however, with gas prices, our lake (so far) has had no traffic to speak of yet this year. Maybe it will change in next few weeks, but I doubt it. I am in touch with this because our town has approx 5k full time residents and approx 20k+ seasonal residents and I'm 100-150yds from the lake. The private organization I live at has maybe 40-50 full time resident houses, and somewhere around 250-300 seasonal resident houses. I'll have to check on that, but it should be close. It's a ghost town outside of boating/swimming seasons.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, no ideas on how they will enforce it, really, since this will be new to them, and us of course.

We have tons of little, large penninsula's, islands, rocks, and ect for Police to hide behind. They use this (many times I believe illegally) to nail people on the 150ft safe passage law. I watch that from land and water all day and every day.

If it's anything like the land police, they will know that the best way not to lose money on having the courts filled with troopers and private individuals is to give tickets to those they know % wise won't show up in court to fight it. IE: Out of staters. Why would someone drive 100-300 miles one way to fight a $50-$200 ticket ? Think - day or two off from work.....gas $$$$....what if magistrate finds you guilty and now to psuh it further need to request to bring it before a judge ? .................

I was an out of stater once and felt that pain. Being an instater I haven't gotten a ticket since I've been here. :winker:

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just to re-itterate this major fact, both the Coast Guard AND Marine Patrol don't feel speed is an issue on this lake. They even brought forth the fact they studied how they would have to enforce it and they concluded they really don't know how they'd be able to be.

'Feel' really isn't a good word here because they og course have a ton of data since that's what they do all day every day, but they've also run special tests since this has all come up and still found and reported to the legislature and governor that it is a non-issue and of course pointed out what is.

Special interest group called "Fowl....the tests and their resultant data is majorly flawed."

So, beliefs/wants/theories prevails over unbiased 100% top of the field professional data.

As I've mentioned before - The Old Man in The Mountian (Our state icon and symbol) jumped off his rocky mountain perch a few yrs ago because NH became what it never wanted to become. "Live By Our Smothering Rules or Die" :angry1:

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, check it out. Go to the link for newspaper article I posted in 1st post. I sent in a response and it got published (on the web.)

Ha, ha. Hope it reads clear.

Funny how everyone pushing for something believes they are 'educated' and that anyone opposing is 'uneducated.' Get off your high horse ! Your no better than the next guy.

So where do you supporters stop ? When you get a speeding ticket and your boats speedometer says you are going slower than the limit what will you do next ? Demand the boat manufacturer to calibrate your speedometer for free ? Do you realize this is impossible ? Do you go after the gauge manufacturer ? Do you go after the pitot manufacturer ? Do you even know how a water psi Speedometer works ? Do you know that a minute change in your Pitot opening, a piece of muck or pebble of sand in it or the line, it's mounting, water current, etc will drasticly change the reading.

Hah, hah - can't wait for it to back fire on you !

What if I get a ticket for running away from a localized summer thunderstorm to keep my family safe ? If your a true boater on this lake, you know exactly what I am describing here.

All those who wanted this limit, especially noting representative Hilliard, you are getting unrealistically 'soft' as you grow older and feel the need to avoid the actual problems and want to smother anything and everything with new laws. Bravo to you for showing all the young generations how important it is to focus on 'Me and only me.'

In closing, I honestly think gas prices are going to have the biggest impact on safety on the lake. Boat traffic !
- Scott B. , Moultonboro, NH

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Will this limit apply to snowmobiles also.... sounds like a stupid question.... but :confused:

Real sorry to hear this Scott..... sometimes I feel I've outlived my time in this country.... too d a m many parental laws.... :(

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GRH - that got brought up in the meetings. Supposedly it's getting worded more definitavely so that it applies to boats only on Winni.

That's one of the reasons how it got thrown out at first. They made a crude blanket '25 night/ 45 day' speed limit of all NH waterways. But of course, the legislators told the special interest group all the nitty gritty details on how to write their proposal so it would have a better chance of succeeding.

I cannot/will not accept the fact that I have the only 70+yr old father that has a car capable of going over 180mph ! :D :laugher:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
How can they have a speed limit for boats only on the lake? That was one of the concerns on our lake a couple years ago when limits were being heavily discussed by the regulating district.... how do we legally limit only boats? if we have a limit it has to apply to the waterway... not the type of vehicle traveling on it.... that was the attorney's take anyway.... that it would be discriminatory to limit one type of vehicle and not another... like on a roadway.... speed limits apply to all vehicles on a particular stretch of highway.... not just corvettes & ferrari's....

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GRH -

Do you honestly think that they know what they are doing as far as reducing 'speeding' is going to make their lives 'great' instead of 'sucking'?

There will always be something else to blame for their lives being unfulfilled.

-20F winters, snow, ice, rain, hot summers, my neighbors dog humping mine :laugher: , people fishing in frt of my place, rock n' roll music, rap, pregnant 13 yr old daughter/granddaughter, spouse too fat/lazy/bitchy/ or what ever,......yada,yada,yada,yada

My honest opinion is that too many people can't live with themselves and instead of realizing they don't like themselves they actually truly believe it's everyone else that sukks.

I'm convinced of that and I'll go down believing it ! :D

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
cfm said:
GRH -

My honest opinion is that too many people can't live with themselves and instead of realizing they don't like themselves they actually truly believe it's everyone else that sukks.

I'm convinced of that and I'll go down believing it ! :D
I agree.... :D

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
GRH said:
Will this limit apply to snowmobiles also.... sounds like a stupid question.... but :confused:

Real sorry to hear this Scott..... sometimes I feel I've outlived my time in this country.... too d a m many parental laws.... :(
gary , check out some of the sled sites like www.ilsnow.com and atv sites . nys dec proposals for 09 and beyond are insane. hiking , canoeing and cross country sking type things will be the only permissable activities allowed in the adirondacks soon . snowmobiling in nys is now a 12 month sport . 2 -3 months riding , 12 months fighting retrictive legislation .

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
tcob said:
gary , check out some of the sled sites like www.ilsnow.com and atv sites . nys dec proposals for 09 and beyond are insane. hiking , canoeing and cross country sking type things will be the only permissable activities allowed in the adirondacks soon . snowmobiling in nys is now a 12 month sport . 2 -3 months riding , 12 months fighting retrictive legislation .
Your Not Kidding, What the state does not realize is the $$ these small towns make when snowmobilers come into there towns over the winter months with food, Fuel and motels... They need to look at the Big Picture..

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our state is now the opposite with snowmobiling. We got a newer/younger person (I grew up with him) as head of Trails and has totally reversed the poor mindset towards snowmobiling.

Tcob, if you want more info on him and his doings feel free to give me a ring. It's kind of awe inspiring on what someone can do.

Plus, he's an extreme groomer - if there is such a category. You'd crap at the things he can do with one. :D

·
BANNED
13,676 Posts
revx440 said:
Your Not Kidding, What the state does not realize is the $$ these small towns make when snowmobilers come into there towns over the winter months with food, Fuel and motels... They need to look at the Big Picture..
Do you think the politicians give a ratsazz about the small towns?? They go where the votes are. The fuggin "Tree Huggers" have a helluva lot more clout than some small town Supervisor, Mayor or whatever. They have some very strong lobbyst in Albany getting "OUR" members of the assembly to do what THEY want. Pizzes me off when some down state assemblymen or state senator introduces a bill aimed at the Adirondacks. Azzhole should pay attention to his part of the state. :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
cfm said:
Our state is now the opposite with snowmobiling. We got a newer/younger person (I grew up with him) as head of Trails and has totally reversed the poor mindset towards snowmobiling.

Tcob, if you want more info on him and his doings feel free to give me a ring. It's kind of awe inspiring on what someone can do.

Plus, he's an extreme groomer - if there is such a category. You'd crap at the things he can do with one. :D
the guy in charge of nys dept of enviromental conservation , lives in and is a native of nyc. he has no understanding or appreciation of upstate culture . he / they could care less that we have always enjoyed our woods or our lakes with some sort of motorized vechicles . that is a part of our culture , just like plays , fine dining and public transportation is a part of his . one of their proposals that is gaining traction is "quiet waters" which is only allowing canoes on a growing number of adirondack lakes. they keep trying to take things away from snowmobilers ,and atv owners are treated like criminals. as for small business owners in the adirondacks deriving $$$$$ from us , well , nys don't care . they are the state and thats just the way it is .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.