Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy I bought my last boat from had the interior redone and gave me all the left overs. I also had this panel left over from redoing the side panels of my current 272. So I decided to see what I could do in the upholstry field.

I didnt have any pattern to go off of. I just did some quick tracings and off to cutting a sewing I went. I didnt take the time to pull out every wrinkle since this will never be used. I didnt even finish putting it all together. After I finished 3/4 of it I figured I had shown myself I could do it if needed.

I plan on redoing the interior on my 272. However for that I will take the skins off and cut each panel apart. Then I can use that as a pattern. I didnt have that luxary here..

all in all I think it turned out ok for no pattern and never doing it before.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Very Nice. My interior is mint except one corner which is barely visable. I am thinking of redoing it over winter. How is it attached in the back? staples?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mkos1980 said:
Very Nice. My interior is mint except one corner which is barely visable. I am thinking of redoing it over winter. How is it attached in the back? staples?

yeah just plain ole staples.

I will forewarn you. Dont use wafer board like I did. You cant hardly get a staple to go in. Use a regular plywood.

·
Registered
280 Posts
axkiker said:
yeah just plain ole staples.

I will forewarn you. Dont use wafer board like I did. You cant hardly get a staple to go in. Use a regular plywood.
stainless steel staples and marine grade plywood, or you will be doing it over in 3 years.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
V-FORCE said:
stainless steel staples and marine grade plywood, or you will be doing it over in 3 years.
I agree with this totally.... If the baja interior had been made with marine grade ply and stainless hardware I would not have had to redo them both last summer.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
RSCHAP1 said:
So you got a sewing machine that works on the vinyl?
And what make/model? What type of thread do you use for marine upholstery? I love to sew, and I've been considering upgrading my machine to tackle tougher fabrics/projects.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
greeneyedbeacher said:
And what make/model? What type of thread do you use for marine upholstery? I love to sew, and I've been considering upgrading my machine to tackle tougher fabrics/projects.

The sewing machine I used was nothing special. Just some Brother model that my mom gave me to use. Its by no means an industrial model. It had absolutly no problem sewing this vinyl. In fact I would say vinyl is easier to sew than blue jeans...

I didnt use the proper thread. Since this was just a practice piece I use regular white nylon thread.

when I do one for real ill have to get the proper thread...

·
Registered
405 Posts
did you have any problem sewing with the "stndard machine? and how many layers fif you go through at most?

We were planning to purchase fabric, welting, thread, etc... and try it... I can sew... and I've made all new wood, impregnanted with polyurethane elastomer and for stress bearing pieces a layer of cloth and epoxy resin.

btw, nice first try!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wtfo said:
did you have any problem sewing with the "stndard machine? and how many layers fif you go through at most?

We were planning to purchase fabric, welting, thread, etc... and try it... I can sew... and I've made all new wood, impregnanted with polyurethane elastomer and for stress bearing pieces a layer of cloth and epoxy resin.

btw, nice first try!
The only problem that I ran into a couple times was the foot of the machine not wanting to press down hard enough on the fabric and slipping a bit. I think there is an adjustment for that but I dont have the first clue about sewing machines. I would think at some point I sewed through 3-4 layers at a time. Typically its only 2 but I know there were some seams that doubled and trippled the layers....

this machine is pretty CHEAP. My mom only uses it to hem pants etc. I thik she bought it at wally world for like 75 bucks.

So im sure a typical machine is more than capabale. The only thing you may look for would be a deeper throat on the machine....

·
Registered
443 Posts
You can skip the marine plywood and use standard 1/4" smooth plywood. Then coat both sides with cheap (home depot) resin. Marine ply still rots it just takes longer. Resin coated will outlast the boat unless you leave exposed wood. Plus it will save you some $.

Stainless staple are the only way to go especially since they only cost a couple dollars more than steel.

I have done allot of interior pieces using a Singer #4528. I got it at a garage sale about 8 years ago for $10. A friend that does upholstery told me to get the interior/exterior thread, which has a nylon base and is UV protected sold at most large fabric stores. For the needle I have been using a 14/90 for vinyl and a 16/100 for canvas.

V-force...if you give me any crap about sewing, your boat (when finished) will develop a severe leak. :laugher: :laugher:

Great work on the panel above!

·
Registered
405 Posts
There's a large upholstery supply house about 45 minutes away that sells everything pre-made welting for edges, etc... that match some of the main colors for their major brands of marine vinyl. They also carry all the threads, right needles, etc... I made measurements and am

the stuff I soaked into the plywood for the backing is akin to really good polyurethane flexible rubber with a tough hard surface (chemistry and water resistance akin to high end two-part auto paint, but designed to be a little more flexible and even to seal around screws, staples, etc.... I also included a little anti-fungal additive for good measure...) I used a little thinner regular (non-marine, non treated) plywood to cut down on weight and I added a layer of epoxy resin and cloth for added rigidity for the pieces that bear loads, like seat bottoms and backs, and those holding the colnoles up, etc... If I can do a decent job on the sewing, hopefully it'll come out nicely.

Oh, and for others that have the pre drilled holes in the boat with nuts on the back... where the interior pieces have machine screws permanently running through them using t-nuts, I found out that you can get the stainless steel t-nuts from Fastenall a LOT cheaper than anywhere else... you can get them at Lowes, but they're a LOT cheaper to order from fastenall...

I'll post some pics once I get it all done... probably will be a while since we're spending more time boating than working on the boat.

Thanks a LOT for all the great info that many of you post on here. I've learned a ton of great stuff from here and have been able to do a lot of things that i would never have dreamed of trying...

ps. as a single father raising a daughter, I bought a sewing machine and learned to sew by necessity... don't give me any $hit about altering dresses and skirts, making costumes, hemming slacks, skirts and dresses, etc...

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
wtfo said:
... ps. as a single father raising a daughter, I bought a sewing machine and learned to sew by necessity... don't give me any $hit about altering dresses and skirts, making costumes, hemming slacks, skirts and dresses, etc...
You'll get no $hit from me for it... in fact you'll get a: :bow:

and a big: :wave: :wave: :wave:

And if any Speedwake guys give you any $hit about this, just let me know because I have the power to make them disappear. :winker:

·
Registered
666 Posts
axkiker said:
I keep hearing the word welting....... what exactly is this and do I need it?????
Depends on if you want a nice rolled edge on your panel or where you sew you vinyl together on end( you can sew it or staple it. In addition, you can get some that hide the staples on the bottom like your seats or sun deck ect. See the roll pices on mine that I am doing now.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
goebel1 said:
Depends on if you want a nice rolled edge on your panel or where you sew you vinyl together on end( you can sew it or staple it. In addition, you can get some that hide the staples on the bottom like your seats or sun deck ect.

I think I know what your talking about in regards to hiding staples. Im not sure your talking about when you say nice rolled edge. Do you have any pics.???

·
Registered
666 Posts
axkiker said:
I think I know what your talking about in regards to hiding staples. Im not sure your talking about when you say nice rolled edge. Do you have any pics.???
Can you see the small roll ends on my pic?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
wtfo said:

ps. as a single father raising a daughter, I bought a sewing machine and learned to sew by necessity... don't give me any $hit about altering dresses and skirts, making costumes, hemming slacks, skirts and dresses, etc...
No $hit from my direction, someone give this man a beer! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts