Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used to go to Grand Haven very often when I lived in East Lansing. I am now in Louisville KY area and have not been back for 10 years or so. I may be up there this coming weekend. What has changed since 98?

Where would be a good place to put in and would my truck be safe there for several nights?

How far can I get up the river before I have an unexpected event with the bottom?

Best watering holes? I think I used to go to Tip A Few, still there?

Anything worth seeing or doing up towards Muskegon or Holland? Fuel there?

Approximate or GPS cords for the party cove on Spring Lake?

Local boys still OK or will I have trouble with switchable tips and KY registration?

Lot's of questions but I probably have forgot more than I knew about the area.

If you see me about hail me on 69 as BadDog. White and Gray Force 235, VHF antenna mounted on sundeck strbd. rail, Bimini Top with gray cover

Tim T.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The best place would be the municipal ramp in GH, Just pay for one launch and don't park in the main lot. Park in the dirt overflow lot. There is a new courtesy dock located right by it with bathrooms. You can leave a car there for a few days with no problems.

You can go a little beyond the gravel pits up river. Water is plenty deep as long as you stay in the buoys.
Gravel pits:
N43 01.106 W86 01.295

Tip is still around and has been upgraded. There is a new bar above Snug Harbor. The typical night starts at Tip, then off to Kirby, Theater bar, Rose Bud, and close the night at Mr Kozacs for food. the Holiday Inn tiki bar is a good start to the night as well.

Not much in Holland, Dockers & Bear lake Tavern are fun in Muskegon.

Here is Hanky cords:
Hanky Panky Cove
N43 06.941 W86 10.744

If your boat is not loud than you will not be messed with. Just drive with the tips closed until you hit the big lake.

Say hi if you stop into hanky or see us in the channel. (boat pic is in my profile)

If you need anything or head out to the bars give a call:
Todd
616-890-2016

·
Registered
427 Posts
Make sure you are under 90db open or you will more than likely have a problem in Grand Haven and Holland.

Muskegon has plenty to offer. Holland, not so much.

Muskegon has Bear Lake Tavern and Docker's that you can dock at. If you anchor close to shore inside the south breakwall, you can wade in and go to a chithole bar on the beach called Captain Jack's. I keep my boat at Great Lakes Marina in Muskegon and they have fuel plus there are two bars and a really nice party store/deli right across the street.

http://www.greatlakesmarina.com/

Grand Haven Municipal launch is generally considered a very nice launch. Long term parking should be okay, but in today's world, who knows?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dockers 12.0 ft depth
N43 13.743 W86 19.466

The cords are for the entrance, follow the little channel in and past the marina. You can tie to the wall or turn left and head to the docks.

Bear Lake Tavern
N43 14.342 W86 17.864

The cords are for the entrance, follow the little channel in and past the marina. Just on the other side of the bridge is a couple of docks and the tavern on the left.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, cool that is the info I needed. Wife and I will be staying on the boat. We usually bring everything we need to last several days except ice. I do recall the tavern on Bear lake. I saw a Cary 50 on a visit in 93. I left Mi in 90 and only have been back on occasion. Spend a great deal of time on Cumberland and Dale Hollow. I do miss the open water and going out until the land disappears. Hopefully I will bail on work and head that way Friday and be on the water Saturday. I need to make a few family visits first.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
SweetEmotion said:
Like mentioned watch the noise. I got busted last weekend 95dbls officer was a jerk too. Gave me 30 days to fix or appear in court :angry1:
The very reason I will wont be back in Grand Haven any time soon. I wont support a town with my money that encourages this sort of harassment toward power boaters. :dead:

·
Registered
427 Posts
SweetEmotion said:
Yeah I hate it too :mad: . But what do ya do

I guess I`ll look into some inserts I can slide in before enter the channel. I would like some turn downs anyone know of some for sale?
Several have made downpipes out of PVC pipe and run them when they will be in Ottawa County. I think $400 for a 15" long stainless pipe is a rip off myself. I added mufflers this year to help keep noise levels in check where I boat and I must say, I really like them.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Red, it will be coming to you soon! I was just in holland and port sheldon tonight. People said that the sheriffs are getting people left and right. They even made a pass into port sheldon and looked over a pq pretty hard while we were there. I keep hearing the same thing from different places around MI. It is spreading and rather quick. Like BG, I really like my mufflers and wish I had them a few years earlier. Call me old, but I don't have to run around making noise to sound good, the boat kinda speaks for itself. It is a amazing how all the cops wave and just leave me alone.

·
Registered
427 Posts
SweetEmotion said:
Where'd you get ur mufflers at? How much?
I bought some new take off Corsa Mufflers that came off a 07 Formula w/ 525's from a guy on OSO. I have no idea if they are legal db or not, but it so much nicer flying down the lake, it's hard to explain.

Everybody can do what they want and I'm not going to argue or judge about personal freedoms and all that, but if the loud boats don't make proactive changes to bring their noise levels to reasonable levels, every port will eventually face what has happened in Grand Haven.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So about this exhaust law. I have never been hasseled before with my old boat, the the thru-hulls exited below the water line at idle. the new to me boat, has twin 454's in it with 3 inch exhaust. the tips are just barely in the water at idle, enought that they are just breaking the surface. I do not have mufflers or even flappers. I think it is quiter than most boats with 4 inche exhaust. The wife and I are thinking of coming to Grand Haven one weekend this summer. Do I need to worry about this, or considering the boat is a 1979, with boat stock engines and bone stock exhaust it won't be a problem. I am looking for some advice here. Or do I just stay on Lake St. Clair, and Lake Erie where I have not had a problem and usually get a friendly wave from the sheriffs over here only? I don't want to be fined, or even hasseled for that matter so some water cop can pump up his ego, I will just keep my money over here if that is that case.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Twin27Advantage said:
Red, it will be coming to you soon! I was just in holland and port sheldon tonight. People said that the sheriffs are getting people left and right. They even made a pass into port sheldon and looked over a pq pretty hard while we were there. I keep hearing the same thing from different places around MI. It is spreading and rather quick. Like BG, I really like my mufflers and wish I had them a few years earlier. Call me old, but I don't have to run around making noise to sound good, the boat kinda speaks for itself. It is a amazing how all the cops wave and just leave me alone.
Yeah, maybe it will but Grand Haven/Spring Lake has encouraged this whole thing. Thats what ticks me off.

Personally I run Gil muffler tips so I'm thinking I'm legal anyways (or alot closer to legal) and they were on the boat when I bought it. Some days I wish I didn't have them but other times I wish I had a silence choice system as well.

Anyways with the economy in the crapper in our area right now, you wouldn't think that cities would be encouraging the harassment of tourist but would be doing all they can do to bring people to the area. But, what do I know :confused: :D

Yes Michigan! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
443 Posts
I agree they should let some boats that are close slide for the day or the weekend.

Ex, there is no grandfather type law so you will have to be quiet. I would at least put some rubber flappers on to knock down the noise. Not to mention it will stop water from entering the exhaust when floating. (waves coming at the transom)

It is not near as bad as it was last year around here. If a boat is around 92-93db they will likely not even mess with you.

If you have twins, run around on one since you have to idle anyway. When you enter the channel, just pop a coil wire so the other won't start. If they mess with you tell them the motor quit running. Plus always just kinda stay on the other side of the channel when you see one and give a friendly wave.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Twin,

Thanks for the advice. I can't put flappers on as they are the slash cut tips on the back. I have never had a problem with water, niether has the previous owner, if you saw my riser configuration it would probably make sense.

Thanks for the tips on what to do. This law doesn't make sense especially the no grandfathering part of it. It is the only sound law I know of that doesn't grandfather old equipment and boats. Snowmobile noise laws grandfather "stock" equiment for sound, same with ATV laws, motorcycle laws and automotive laws. This just seems to be directly targeting a group that has more expensive toys so they left the prior to date off the books. It's a bunch of B.S. for those of us with older non-modified boats. It seams the water sheriffs over here and in the north have some common sense and those over there are looking to make quota, even though they have the ability to interpret the law as they enforce it they choose not to, this based on the huge thread from last summer, has caused this opinion I have.

I will boat in G.H. I think I will pass the sound test, but so help me I I get hasseled and written for just barely over with a stock boat, I will never drop a dime of my hard earned money over there, and I will insure, my brother and parents do not either as they are boaters as well. My father even belongs to a boat club based out of Detroit and I will make sure it gets passed onto them too about the un reasonable police force in GH.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.