Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a few new trucks and can not decide on what tobuy, I am getting a FORD no doubt and more then likely a 350 dually, what good or bad do you have to say and what kind of mileage are you getting, I am looking at 2005,2006, or 2007's. Feedback is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
NitrousNolan said:
I am looking at a few new trucks and can not decide on what tobuy, I am getting a FORD no doubt and more then likely a 350 dually, what good or bad do you have to say and what kind of mileage are you getting, I am looking at 2005,2006, or 2007's. Feedback is much appreciated.
how much do you want for your current Ford? I'm looking for a tow vehicle

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Run Forest Run :laugher: :laugher: :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any Ford guys have any input??? I can't buy a Chevy I have to much stuff that fits a Ford, and I like the solid front axel for the plow season.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I have a 2007 F 350 Dually, 4 door, 4x4 with the 4.10 gears. Hauling a 382 Formula that comes in near 14,000 with fuel and the trailer......hardly know it's there. 70-75 on the interstate on cruise control but gets near 10-11 towing........the lower gears only do a little better un-loaded at about 13-14.
I bought it for towing only and have only put 4,500 miles on it in 2 years. For a daily driver I'd have a hard time dealing with the extra set of wheels in the back. (For my weekend winter trips to Home Depot I end up parking WAY away from the store since this thing takes up more than one parking spot.)

Otherwise I love the truck!!!!

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
NitrousNolan said:
Any Ford guys have any input??? I can't buy a Chevy I have to much stuff that fits a Ford, and I like the solid front axel for the plow season.

I work on fords every day; it's my job :unhappy1:

That said, 04, 05 is as far up as I would go on the ps. To many problems with engine due to "as ford says" radiator issues, and more problems to come with all the "egr" components for the new emissions requirements. There is a huge amount of expense lurking in the new systems :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

The old 7.3 ps is the one to have.........as fords go.

Good luck :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
I had an `02 7.3 PSD. Was a great truck, but I like my Dodge better - to each his own. With that said, my brother has an `06 PSD F350 single-wheel. It tows just fine, but he gets only about 14-15 mpg empty and drops to 10-11 when towing his 33' boat. He`s had it at the dealer so many times that I think he has his own stall in the shop. But he still likes it . . .

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep it comming, I think I am getting an 05 350 dual Loaded with every option, EVERYTHING.......22000 mi they want 27 I'm going to hit them at 25 and we'll see where we go!! Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
oldman58 said:
I'd make the first offer around $22.
Ditto -----

I like to insult them with my first offer, just to see. After they get over the shock, they realize I`m not playing. I always buy right or I don`t buy.

If they are asking $27K, I`d offer $22,350 --- kind of random, but they know you didn`t just pull $22,000 out of the air, they know you`ve given it some thought. Mention some book values - they`ll think you really did your homework. Besides -- diesel trucks aren`t just flying off the lot.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Its amazing how cheap used diesels are these days...when I bought my 03 new I couldnt find a decent one anywhere. The only used ones I found were plow trucks and even they were $20k! with over 100k on them. So I just gotta new one!

·
Registered
116 Posts
A guy I know buys for a local car dealer and at the last
auction saw a 08 F550 quad cab, loaded, 44,000 miles.
High bidder $ 28,000 got it.

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
NitrousNolan said:
I know where you can find a 2005 F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab for $17,000.00 and it only has 78,000 miles on it.

I am also selling my 2005 Ram3500 4x4 with all of the upgrades I hav done to it for $28,000.00 :D SHE IS FAST and can haul the boat easily!

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
oldman58 said:
A guy I know buys for a local car dealer and at the last
auction saw a 08 F550 quad cab, loaded, 44,000 miles.
High bidder $ 28,000 got it.

Well he is gonna spend the other $28K on the emission system after ford cuts it loose from warranty. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Frankly I am affraid of 08 models, first and worst is ford then GM and lastly Dodge. The cummins program so far is showing the best outcome but all are VERY expensive to keep on the road with emissions costs :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well - I have just been to Lake Cumberland in May, Lake George, New York in June and I just got back from Lake Winni in New Hampshire and the New to me 2006 PSD Harley Edition towed great without any complaints.

I get closer to 15 mpg on Tows and have gotten as high as 16.5 on Flat Tows. 12.5 to 14.5 if its hilly. On the highway I am getting upper teens(not towing)... but its all relative... fact is ya buy a Deisel for Torque and they all have that...

I am happy with the Ford - its my first 3/4 Ton and compared to the Z-71 Suburban that I used to Tow with and still do work out of.... the Suburban is a friggin Limo Ride.... but the PSD is only one of 4 Vehicles in the current Stable... to be honest I would not hesitate to buy any of the Big Three Models as long as they are clean and well maintained.... I got the Harley with only 14,000 miles on it... I have heard alot of mileage complaints on the Newer PSD's.... not to mention the initial cost on buying a brand new vehicle...the depreciation hit is nuts - 40% to 50% in the first 3 years I just read the other day?

I love my Cars... and they all are great... the Burban has the little 5.3 and its about to hit 300,000 miles - all with frequent Service and Oil Changes....

I am learning that Deisels are not cheap in any way shape or form... but they are a purpose built product...and I think they are all great.

Living the Dream -

Doc of the Bay :D

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
My 05 PSD got 22 mpg hwy and about 14 - 15 city.

IF you are looking at an 05, please have service dept run an oasis report to see if the 6.0L was a problem child or not. Some of those motors were very problematic; while others were great w/ zero problems. The 06 & 07 motors had more upgrade to make them better (05's had some too)

Also look hard around the degass bottle (plastic bottle where you add coolant) on the drivers side. Look for evidence of coolant over flow (white residue around bottle area - on underside of hood) if you find it, then that motor has/or had blown head gaskets.

The new '08's are simply wonderful EXCEPT they get about 1 to 2 mpg less due to EPA crap. My 08 is simply the best truck I've owned. Not afraid of the emissions crap, cause I'll sell it before warranty expires. But if you could find a steal on an 08 - I would say jump on it.
Just be careful on a 6.0 truck. There may be a reason why that truck only has 22K on it.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, The trucks I was looking at sold so I guess I'll wait for now unless I stgumble across another deal, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I bought my king ranch crew single wheel 6.0 new and have 25k on it. The king ranch emblem got loose so I took it in. The cd play stopped working so I took it in. Other than that, nothing, runs like a top and tows great. I think a lot of guy that have these bring on their own problems with excessive idling and tuners and other mods. If the egr valve start screwing me I will remove it and block it off. I wait for that though.

NN - check out
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Lots of good reading on deisels.

BT

1 - 20 of 41 Posts