Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would a 280 run with twin 350's? 60mph? How easy are they to trailer? Do they ride nice in 2-3' chop? I really like the layout and cabin, might be something to consider for my next boat,

·
Platinum Member
1,495 Posts
I've been liking this boat as well... I've not been on one yet - but would like to see how it rides.

Here are 2 boattest.com links, Its suprising to me the weight and performance difference based on the model year-- I can't quite figure that out. :confused:

2001-2004 http://www.boattest.com/oem/general-info.aspx?ID=170&lp_id=381#OverView

2005 http://www.boattest.com/oem/general-info.aspx?ID=750&lp_id=381#OverView

I really like the 330 and in the used market there are some nice deals, but with a 10 foot beam, trailering becomes a nightmare.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they added the arch, I guess that is the difference. I definetly want to still trailer so anything too much bigger is out of the question.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the 280BR which is very similiar except for the cuddy portion. The boat runs top end at 57 mph. I have had the boat in a 4 chop running at about 25 mph with no problems. With the weight of the boat you will find it to be a nice smooth ride and very enjoyable. If you have more questions please let me know.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The weight difference that is shown I have seen in the mailers from Formula. The lighter one is a single motor compared to the two motors. My boat is 8300 dry weight compared to 7400 with a single.

·
Platinum Member
1,495 Posts
Wow, lots of variation here... I took another look at the boattest.com reports.

This is very Interesting... The 2001-2004 listed at 6300# had 2x350 MPI's and a best speed of 54.2 with a best cruise of 30,5MPH at 3K RPM registering 1.84MPG

Attachments

·
Platinum Member
1,495 Posts
And the 2005 listed 1000lbs heavier at 7300# had 2x350 Horizion's and a best speed of 50.2 with a best cruise of 27.6MPH at 3K RPM registering 1.88MPG

Attachments

·
Platinum Member
1,495 Posts
The BravoIII does wonders for time to plane and holeshot as expected, but what I am suprised by is the comparitivley poor cruising speed - isn't this where BIII's should really shine?

I imagine the 1000# of weight can be explained by the Arch as mentioned, plus the addtional weight of BIII drives and closed cooling on the engines.

What this doesn't explain is how the 2002 BR is almost another 1000# heavier and is 7MPH faster than the BIII boat. I read the comments of single vs. twin engine but I can't imagine an outfit like boattest.com making such a rookie mistake.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The speed that I posted is using GPS and using the trim and drive tabs to the best that it could be done. The weight difference is not from the arch but motor and drive options. I have owned mine for a few years and know the boat inside and out. Wish that I could have got the 8.1s to get over 60 though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
As far as best speed to RPM ratio it is at 3800 RPM's, this gives a speed of 43 MPH when properly trimmed. I know you burn more gas but I also think you want MPH to be higher than RPM for best performance.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, something to consider, the wife doesnt like the windshield though. I am just talking chit right now, not sure what direction the next boat will go,

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I were to do it again I would go with the 330SS instead. Maybe the windshield is better suited. :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts