Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a letter today from discover. Basically said, "We're changing your interest rate to 22.9% + prime." I called to find out what the f*&k, they tell me my interest rate has been 27.99% for the last 4 months, they only changed me from a fixed to variable rate. I rarely use this card, but shame on me for not keeping tabs on these weasels. Thought I'd post this as a warning for everybody else.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Schnook said:
Got a letter today from discover. Basically said, "We're changing your interest rate to 22.9% + prime." I called to find out what the f*&k, they tell me my interest rate has been 27.99% for the last 4 months, they only changed me from a fixed to variable rate. I rarely use this card, but shame on me for not keeping tabs on these weasels. Thought I'd post this as a warning for everybody else.
Just went through it tonight, essentially the letter says if you dont want the 28 percent interest rate you hav to write a letter or call to cancel the card. I called today to cancel and they asked "why". DUH why! Ended up with a fixed lower rate then what I had to start out with. I use my card a ton..I like the rewards

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got one of those from citi about a year ago. I used to travel quite a bit for work and used the card all the time. Once I switched jobs I hardly use it and a a while later they tried taking me from a low fixed rate up to 18%. I caught it immediately and called them with the "I'll cancel if this stays and/or ever happens again" speech so now I'm back to 8% fixed and haven't had any issues. Those CC companies are sneaky..... Unfortunately this is a pretty common practice since most people don't pay attention and just keep making those minimum payments.

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
I stopped using Discover years ago when I found out they charge interest from day of purchase AND even if you pay it off each month they charge interest from the closing date till they post your payment. Fugg them.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have Discover since 1986, use it some, not much, pay off total bill every month, never paid a dime in interest.

I did almost cancel 7yrs ago, I transferred something small to a 0% for 6 months, called them first and asked for exact terms, and they sneaked an interest charge somewhere after a month. After calling twice threating to cancel, they waived the charge and no probs since.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Credit card companies are the devil, only beaten out by credit card processing companies, bloodsuckers. :angry1:

I use a GM card exclusively for the money off since all I buy is GM. Oh, and those rewards are not free, when someone uses a rewards card at my shop guess who gets a nice little additional charge to pay for those rewards, thats right, me!

I stopped taking checks, I wish I could stop taking cards too.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I have my Chase card set up to payoff balance automatically every month. Well for the second month I have to call to have an interest charge removed. There is a flaw in their computer program that will screw up and if you have dispute during the month you get interest on it. You would think this would be fixed after the first wave of complaints.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Discover turned me down many years ago when I applied for a card. I had great credit so I despised them for the denial.
Later my wife gets one. Some puke tries to rip me off on ebay when I paid with this Discover card. The card company came to my rescue and Mr. attempted rip off got his money taken away. :laugher: :laugher: :laugh: :laugh: :laugher:

That is all I can say for Discover. :confused:

I did have one bad run in with my MasterCard. One phone call to the top brass in the company fixed that and worked better than I had even hoped. I don't call customer no service. I look up the corporate listings for an organization and head straight to the top if it is a sizeable problem. :winker:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts