Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having fuel issues with my port motor and after looking around found that my pickup tube for the port motor which is a stainless 90 degree fitting with about a 11 in copper tube soldered into the bottom, was cracked about half the way around and was sucking air.

Does anyone know who sells pickup tubes or is there a better fix for this other than soldering the copper back into the fitting. Thanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have never tried to solder copper to stainless. I dont think it will work. But I have bonded copper to aluminum with epoxy on a shifter kart carb with no problems. Pick up some JB Weld it may work.

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
Had the same problem a few years back. Went to Lowes , got the materials and made my own ;).
Had to drill out bottom of 90* to fit the 1/2" pickup tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
have it soldered al you need is 45% silver solder. We do it all the time on refrigeration equipment.

MM

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can silver solder it thats no problem, might make me up a spare also I guess. The motor seemed to be having vapor lock issues, but It was only doing it in the Hot Hole after I had been running hard and shut it down and started it back up soon after It might still be doing that after I fix this anyhow, but Sunday the Port engine stalled on me after I was under way it was kind of weird we ran 4-5 miles ran great. I couldnt get gas to the engine checked the filter and fuel was down about 1 inch in the filter filled the filter back up and was good to go. Engine ran great coming back and once I got to the harbor came off plane and it stalled again.

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
Not Right said:
what was the motor doing?
Mine must not have been so bad.. Engine still ran fine but fuel pressure was unsteady.

·
Registered
594 Posts
tempo make universal fuel tank pick up tubes, many lengths, aluminun fitting with plastic tube you cut to length. look at boaters world or a good marine supplier. use the all the time and hold up good to e10 fuels.
Joe

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm back in business, I bought a couple Brass fittings at home depot, and some copper tube soldered the top after I drilled the fitting. Installed it this evening and works great. I made up a spare and threw it in the cabin for a rainy day.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
we'll my tube is 100% impossible to remove without cutting a hole under the back seat in the built in cooler or pulling the motor. so unless I am positive that the tube is bad I'll keep looking. I did take the fuel line off and blew into the tank to maybe try and clear any debris that is on the inlet.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I also had an issue with a cracked pick-up tube when I had my Formula 242-SR1. Not exactly the 1st thing you check for when troubleshooting!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not right, I could not check mine by blowing back into the tank because the crack was at the top of the tube right at the fitting inside the tank, which is on the other side of the check valve. I guess the only way to check for that without removing it is to hook up some sort of pump where the line goes into the fuel filter and take a suction there and see if your getting any air bubbles in the fuel.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ran the boat last night for the first time since fixing my fuel pick-up tube. I believe my engine was being starved for fuel for a while and the crack got bad enough to stall while running. The boat ran better last night than it has since I bought it this spring. Port engine spun 250 more rpms than it was. :D and the Fix costed me some sweat and about $7. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts