Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

Getting into the "go-fast" Scene..need some suggestions.

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  NstyLX 
#1 ·
After having a few great years of fun with my Hydrostream Viper, I am looking for something bigger and more comfortable without downgrading in performance. I'm looking for something between 22 and 26 feet, I/O, well-built, clean lines, and at or under 15k. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#3 · (Edited)
The current market for boats is loaded with sellers and few real buyers. For someone who is serious about buying a boat of any type, you can not find a better time to buy at a below reasonable price.

The best advice I can give you is find something that fits what you're looking for and buy the latest model boat that fits your needs and price.

Old boats will not be the best buy at any price!

In the real world old boats are difficult to sell, generally have loads of hidden problems and most banks wont finance them after 10 years of age without slamming you with a high rate or the need for additional collateral. Don't be an idiot and risk your home to buy a toy! Strange things do happen in life and the bank will forclose on your house if you defalt on your boat!

You may find something older than 10 years that you may feel is a "real deal" but remember, some day you'll want to sell this boat and that is when you'll realize there aren't many buyers out there for your now older boat!

#11 ·
smallblockrocket said:
After having a few great years of fun with my Hydrostream Viper, I am looking for something bigger and more comfortable without downgrading in performance. I'm looking for something between 22 and 26 feet, I/O, well-built, clean lines, and at or under 15k. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I started with a Viper, then followed by a Viking, Valero, Vegas, Sunsation 25, Sunsation 32 Dom, and now a 32 Dom SS, see the pattern, you are in trouble now. Just skip the middle steps and go to the 32!

Actually the Velocity 22 and Sunsation Rocket/ Aggressor 25 are good ones to look at.

#12 ·
smallblockrocket said:
I'm looking for something between 22 and 26 feet, I/O, well-built, clean lines, and at or under 15k. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I am toying with the idea of selling my 24' Python. I feel that it meets all of your requirements. It is a 1992 with 502 / Bravo One. 350 hours on boat and engine. I`m thinking $14,000 lake ready with trailer.

Attachments

#16 ·
DonMan said:
You`re correct. This is boat #3 since I joined SW.

Not really trying to sell, but I`d something along the lines of a 28 Pantera.
Right on, 28 pantera's are no joke!

I rode in MattBmillers p28 sunsation, and that sucker was pretty sweet as well, 75+ easy with 4 guys on board and a 496. Rode real nice in some Big 3'ers.

Our little 24's woulda been struggling to keep up in that water.

#19 ·
thecurti said:
I`ve seen your boat and it is extremely nice. A 288 Sunsation is one of the boats on my short list. However, I am about to purchase a new home and a bigger boat is just not in the near future.
If I sold my boat today, I`d probably search for a project Pantera 28 or something along those lines. Do it up MY way. :winker:

#20 ·
OK, I know this may fall outside your parameters, but I think it's steal so I'll throw it out there.

There is a 1985 10 Meter Fountain (33ft) with twin BBC with B & M blowers for sale on a fairly new aluminum trailer that can be had close to your range (within 2 & 5K). Located in VA.

A friend of mine and I looked at it, but he couldn't get his wife interested in it, so he had to pass.

#21 ·
DonMan said:
I`ve seen your boat and it is extremely nice. A 288 Sunsation is one of the boats on my short list. However, I am about to purchase a new home and a bigger boat is just not in the near future.
If I sold my boat today, I`d probably search for a project Pantera 28 or something along those lines. Do it up MY way. :winker:
Thanks Donman. It is very nice, I'm kinda in the same boat as you. It's gotta go along with two motorcycles I have

#22 ·
Well thanks for the help guys. After a little research, I think i have it narrowed down to the velocity 22. My plan is to pick one up probably this coming spring. Does anyone have ANY information/insight about this boat...hull efficiency, common problems, fit and finish, build quality, upgradeability, performance, good years, etc. Thanks.

#23 ·
smallblockrocket said:
Well thanks for the help guys. After a little research, I think i have it narrowed down to the velocity 22. My plan is to pick one up probably this coming spring. Does anyone have ANY information/insight about this boat...hull efficiency, common problems, fit and finish, build quality, upgradeability, performance, good years, etc. Thanks.
They are a very efficient hull. Also a very fast hull with little power. Just remember that all the older boats had wood in them. Some of the older ones were a real light lay up. They had some stress crack issues, but not a structural problem.

I am more than likely going to put mine on the market soon. I have the itch for something bigger. The 22 is just not big enough for a family of 5 for weekends! I will price it to move! :winker:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.