Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We spend a lot of time trolling for fish at our boats slowest speed. The problem is that when you go that slow, the boats wake looks like a S! I know there's a word for that???

I know that is normal to a degree but was wondering what, if anything, I can do to improve it. It just seems like the boat sways more than it should.

There is a small, look-a-like skeg just above the prop that appears to be adjustable. Is that what that is for? Should I try adjusting that? (The lower unit is always all the way down when we are trolling)

Anything else I can try, or is that just the way it is? It's not a real problem, just would be nicer to go straighter at very slow speeds.

1998 Sea-Ray 180BR (3.0 Alpha 1)

Kirk

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I'm not expert buddy but that adjustable 'skeg' is more for torque steer. I think the only way you can rid that side to side action is to buy a much longer boat!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree with jeff, go faster. The term is called Bow steer. My hammer does it. From what I have read and boats I have driven, some boats just have it more than others. I dont think moving the tab on your skeg will help at all at low speeds and only cause bigger problems at a higher speed.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
V hull wander, the prop gets bite from one side of the v until it turns that way, then it picks it up from the other,,, want to get rid of it,,,, buy twins !!!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
small v's do it and the prop wash from a single makes it worse. the more you drive it the better it will get

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
IF you have tabs it may help to drop them all the way down. On my boat dragging the tabs will totally cure the slow speed wander. Otherwise you just have to learn to correct with steering without over correcting. Not hard to do but it does require constant attention to avoid looking like a drunken sailboater.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have seen some of the local fisherman tow buckets and stuff behind there boats. not only slowing the boat if tied of to a cleat on one side or the other it gives you some drag to steer against. just dont forget to bring it in before trying to get on plain

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be advantageous to troll at a slower speed in spring when the water is colder. So I will try dragging two five gallon buckets and see what happens to the speed and handling. (That sounds pretty lame - handling at two MPH!!!) If that works, I'll buy a drift sock. I'm also thinking I might need to drill a small hole in the bottom of each bucket, so I'll bring the cordless.

Don't have tabs.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mine wanders all over the place.
Like a drunken sailor.
If I drove like that on the street a cop would stop me and give me the "test".
In fact, if a water cop saw me he'd do the same thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts